Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Croydon/Halson recap

Hey all,

I found this Croydon radio with a Halson chassis. I have searched everywhere and cannot find it.
I did find the exact match chassis from online but no schematic.
Here is the schematic someone said would work. It has the same layout but the caps and resistors dont match up. And of course mine has the 25Z5 tube.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 008949.pdf

Results from Grillcloth.com
http://www.grillecloth.com/sylvania/tub ... ubmit&db=5

Tubes are 25z5, 43, 6D6 and 6C6. Hopefully i can find out something as the Ecap has 6 wires and 3 caps inside.
I dont need the schematic if you guys would know what caps to use depending on location.

Cap 1 has 2 wires.... A red wire going to pin 4 of the 25Z5 and a green wire going to a terminal strip continuing to the on/off switch. 

Cap 2 is connected to cap 1 with foil. Then there is a white wire going to chassis ground. 

Cap 3 has 3 wires. It has a white wire going to chassis ground, A blue wire going to pin 4 of the 6C6, and a yellow wire going to pin 3 of the 6C6 that continues to a resistor to chassis ground.

Sorry if this is confusing. Welcome to my life...

ME

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well, the Electrolytic capacitors can be replaced with two 10 or 16 MFD 350 volters, get the polarity correct, and don't even think about pluggng it in before you do this. All the tubular capacitors must also be replaced, and whilst you are at it, the carbon resistors as well, only a few, cheapk, easy to do at the same time. If the transformers are still OK, and the wiring is not rotted, last but not least would be tube failures with rectifier and audio output primary suspects. Fuse or power up slowly on a variac when you think you are ready. Let us know how you fare!.

The schematic turns out to be a Halson 45, with the 25Z5 tube even though there is no filter choke and no 12Z3.
The guy who has this chassis replied to me saying that his ECAP has 5 wires:
Black = Ground
Red = 16 uf
With = 8 uf
Green = 5 uf
Green = 5 uf

Mine has 6 wires and when I wired everything according to his picture there are a few things that dont match. His white wire goes to the 43 tube. I have no wire going from the Ecap to the 43 tube. I had 2 wires from the ecap going to the chassis ground. His red goes to pin 3 of the 25Z5 and my red goes to pin 4 of the 25Z5. The 2 pins are tied together so I dont think that is an issue. I have a wire from the terminal strip that went to the ecap. Now it is not connected to anything.
The 2 loose wires are covered in yellow tape.

The 2 green and the black are the same but thats about it... Everything has been replaced that needed it. I did not do all the dogbones as of yet. 

I wont bring her up until this is sorted...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

his chassis

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Well,
  Thanks to Terry and not anyone else! I found the issues with the radio. or he did....
There is a something in the cord that is not connected and I need a N15 something diode to make the bulbs light up.
Right Terry?
I have to order the diode today if I can find the paper I wrote it on Icon_rolleyes
We had a nice long talk about you all until my phone died and when I called him back we forgot what we were talking about... Icon_crazy

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(09-27-2015, 12:35 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Well,
  Thanks to Terry and not anyone else! I found the issues with the radio. or he did....
There is a something in the cord that is not connected and I need a N15 something diode to make the bulbs light up.
Right Terry?
I have to order the diode today if I can find the paper I wrote it on Icon_rolleyes
We had a nice long talk about you all until my phone died and when I called him back we forgot what we were talking about... Icon_crazy

Me
yea yea yea Icon_e_sad Icon_e_sad Icon_e_sad
this is a philco phorum not   halson  hmm is that even a real radio Icon_e_surprised
umm you can`t even remember what your even doing darn new Yorker Icon_wink
miss me

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Miss you?
I cant even stand you Icon_lol

Me

P.S. Halsons rock Portable man!

As of 1/01/2021

I'd bet if you jumper the line cord resistor, plug it in the your variac and run it at 68-70ac it will play. Maybe not as loud as it could it should work.

Terry

Do you want me to get electrocuted?

As of 1/01/2021

nice Icon_twisted

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Have you sorted out those loose wires yet?   Nice that Terry had a chassis for you to do a comparison with.

Post what diode you're looking for and most likely at least one of us will have a couple we can drop in the mail.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I think he said a silicone diode with a part number... I can find the paper Icon_sad

TERRY!!!!! What one is it??

Me Icon_mrgreen

As of 1/01/2021

Generic ones 1N4007 or 1N5408 Radioshack p#276-1114.
Yeah I know there overkill guys.

Terry

Kirk, PM me your address and I'll put a few 1N4007's in an envelope for you.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thank you John but I already got them.
I do appreciate the offer though.
Me

As of 1/01/2021