Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is the correct IF for Philco 80

Anyone know the correct IF for Philco 80?  I am finding it listed as both 450 and 460 on two difference schematics.

Thanks
T

Would go with 460kc. Think 450kc is a misprint. Among others 460 and 470kc are common IF fq for '30s Philcos.

Terry

(09-26-2015, 09:01 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Would go with 460kc. Think 450kc is a misprint. Among others 460 and 470kc are common IF fq for '30s Philcos.

Terry

I tried both and seems like she was originally closer to 450.  I aligned it to both and seems she likes 450 better.  Anyway to find out for sure?

Also, what are you guys using for alignment tools?  Looks like a 1/4 nut drive.  I have been trying to fudge it with a steel nut driver, removing and checking my meter every turn but would be MUCH easier with a proper tool.  Where could I get one?

T

Philco had a special tool for the trimmers.  Here's a thread on it and a tool I made.  Folks often just warm up the end of of a bic pen and squish it over a nut to form a tool.

"Aligning Philco Receivers" by John Riders lists 460 khz .

(09-26-2015, 04:55 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Philco had a special tool for the trimmers.  Here's a thread on it and a tool I made.  Folks often just warm up the end of of a bic pen and squish it over a nut to form a tool.

"Aligning Philco Receivers" by John Riders lists 460 khz .

Niceeee  I like the cap screw idea.

Thanks
T

I tried the "heat up the bic pen" method and it was a glorious failure. LOL They used a strange plastic that gets rubbery and does not seem to mold to the shape of the hex well.

I also tried a few other things with the heat and melt trick and it was pretty much a no go. Nothing that worked reliably.

I searched every store in town for non metallic Allen head bolts and no luck. Has anyone ordered a bunch and have a spare or two to sell?

I had a pkg of 10 but have given them away already. Try Grainger part #4FVF8.

The non-metallic Allen head bolt is a great idea!

Based on the specs for Grainger #4FVF8 I searched around and found a similar 3" part from Zoro:

http://www.zoro.com/micro-plastics-skt-c...36/?whence=

You get 100 for $6.42 (plus $5 shipping). Maybe give 90 of them away for Halloween? Icon_smile

Don't think 5 KC either waywould make much difference, just make sure signal generator is warmed up a half hour if it's an old one, and proceed. A modern digital meter would attest to accuracy.

I have a Grainger supply near me, called and ordered a set of 10 of them.  They ship to the store for free and will be available for pick up after 9AM tomorrow no shipping charge so can't beat that.

Will update on how good they work and will probably have a couple spares available if folks might need one.

Todd