Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BOL Lamp

Hi All
Help
What are you guys using for the lamp in the "Beam of light" phono. Mine burned out today, is there a replacement bulb for this?  Icon_sad Icon_sad

Joe 

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Joe
I think some one here said they used a 55 bulb 
I have not tried it  as I have a few spares
Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I have used the 55 bulb also.  In most cases that I have used it, it was not as good a performer as the original Mazda bulb.  I believe the reason is the original bulbs have a straight filament that reflects a stronger beam onto the cell.  If I have a replacement cell in my tone arm, the 55 works pretty good because it is more sensitive and does not need as much of a reflection.  On my 42-1008 which has an original cell, the 55 does not sound as good at all. 

Thanks for the reply I will get some 55's and try them. I am using a replacement cell from a dollar bill changer, it seemed to work fine before the bulb burned out. I may have had it too bright. Will experiment some. Thanks Joe  Icon_thumbup

See the BOL page on my site.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/phono.htm

Chuck

Joe,

One other suggestion for you, be sure to turn the lamp intensity down on the bulb (the adjustment is on the back of the chassis).  The bulb will last longer if you have the filament somewhat dim, but bright enough to hear volume without distortion.   Between tweaking the screw on the tone arm , the brightness of the bulb, and the volume on the chassis, try to get the best compromise.    Best of luck.

HI all 
Chuck I use your webpage quite often, (Thanks for it) I was looking for a bulb that is available today. I see the philco bulb number (34-2478 )  but is not available today (or is it?) the number on my burned out bulb is T416 tung sol. 
Dave I may have had the lamp too bright, I know where the adjustment is I will try your suggestion, Chuck's webpage has instruction for adjustment. I get pretty good alignment on the cell. Thanks for all the info.  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
Joe 

The original bulb was rated at 3.3V, 600 mA. (I just looked it up.) I'm not sure if there is a better replacement than the 55 today, however. (The 55 is rated at 6.3V, 400 mA.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN