Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 8B56 clock

Came across this Philco 8B56 clock that Philco would sell as an accessory in the ’38 & ’39 timeframe.  The veneer is decent, the clock runs and the price was low.  
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4wvnshui9hl3i....jpg?raw=1]
Since we don’t have a “Mechanical Restoration” section I’ll put this in “Cabinet Resto.”  I was able to get the dial glass off so I could clean both the inside and outside as well as the face of the clock, thought all was going well until I pulled the “time set” knob out of the mechanism.  I had twisted it and the time was setting but with difficulty so in the process it pulled apart.  Icon_sick  
I was able to get it all back together but am puzzled by the way it was put together in the first place.  Here’s a diagram.  
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqqynt97cx0j9c....jpg?raw=1]
It works by pulling down on the knob, engaging the small gear with the larger gear and then turning the knob, shaft and gears to set the time.  The small gear is simply a press fit onto the shaft.  There is enough resistance in the clock mechanism that the shaft now rotates within the gear such that you cannot set the clock.  As I mentioned the clock runs fine and I’m hesitant to take the entire mechanism apart for fear of never getting it all back together.  Any ideas on what to do?  I doubt there was ever any adhesive on the shaft/gear and it may just be wear with time that is the problem.  I can always set the clock but plugging it in at the right moment….  Icon_crazy

Two suggestions come to mind. Take the movement to a qualified clock repair shop and ask them for an estimate on repairing it; or, look on eBay under "synchronous clock movement" You will find many examples. Look on your movement for any identifying numbers and its physical appearance, and see if any match.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. It turns out there actually is an antique clock repair guy in this little town, who'd a thunk it. I'm sure it'll cost way more than the clock is actually worth...sorta like the time and materials we put into a lot of our radios but it might be a cool conversation to have with this fellow just to meet him. Maybe he'll trade a radio restoration for a clock repair.... Icon_question Icon_lol

I did the same thing on my globe clock mech. It has the exact same layout of your diagram. It was really a hassle to get it back in and have that spring in between...

You have used clock mech oil right? Have you degunked it? I have soaked the mech in brake fluid.
Disassembly is not easy if you are not used to it. Layers of gears and pins. I havent done a clock in a while but I have done 26 coin op mechs this year Icon_lol
Sometimes if you are pulling too hard you can cause friction. Just pull until the gears are in line and twist. The mech usually only goes clockwise smoothly.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I tried to de-gunk with a little WD40 hoping to not make things worse but I suspect a good cleaning and de-gunking are what it needs.

Well, the clock repair guy looked at it and said he really didn't want to get into the mechanism as it would be quite a job.  He believes that one of the gears in the time resetting mech is frozen and it needs to be disassembled and perhaps even a new part fashioned.  So, I put it all back together, refinished the cabinet and my wife found a spot for it to sit.  I'll plug it in at the right time and be done with it for now.
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0246zwmw1k54y....jpg?raw=1]

As a wise man once said....

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Icon_lol
The conversation with the clock guy did turn out to be interesting. He used to be an electronics tech repairing communications gear and was a ham. He collected cameras and in retirement became a camera and clock tech. So a fun day anyway.