Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP

(11-01-2015, 11:06 AM)laipplyken Wrote:  Thanks for getting back with me Arran and Morzh. I read a lot of Pithicus's phorum and saw how much you two helped him. I was really surprised to see both of you responded to me...... kinda like celebraties.
    I do have good fire insurance but as for health insurance not as good LOL. As for replacing the Bakelite, is it better to tear them apart or just by new ones? What's your suggestion? For testing the tubes, I will try to find someone, however I live in a very rural area with nothing around. So finding help around here will be very hard. As for replacing the electro. cap I have an extra one that is not on the schematic and I haven't seen this one on anyone else's videos. It hooks on the #57 Bakelite to the #49 wire wound 6,500 resistor. Do I replace it or delete it? Not sure why it's there. I do have the pdf schematic for the 18 121 if anyone needs it. Thanks for the warning about the speaker, I did know that from your other phorum threads, but it's nice to know you're looking out for me.
Thanks!
Ken

Ken
  The Bakelite block condensers used in Philco radios have capacitors inside them that are sealed in with a plug of tar in the bottom, but they also perform a double duty as a terminal strip for wiring, resistors, and other components too which is why most of us clean them out and restuff them. The extra electrolytic cap may be connected in parallel across one of the originals, there are two filter caps near the back of the chassis and a four section unit mounted under the chassis with some smaller value caps inside, it could be a repair for one of those going bad.
Regards
Arran

(11-01-2015, 07:20 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  the #57 bakelite block is the line by-pass filter and contains twin 0.015uF caps.  They need to be replaced, preferably with two 0.015uF Y2 safety caps. See this info on safety caps.  I suspect the cap you see tacked onto this block was an older repair but I could be wrong so make a note of it and where its located so you can replace it if necessary.  Got a picture of it?  By the way a good practice is to take lots of photos as you work on the radio.  That way you can refer to them as you go along and replace components.  Take more photos than you think you need to especially since this is your first dance.  You always find that you just can't quite see what you want to see on the picture when your trying to put the radio back together  Icon_crazy

I'd restuff the bakelite blocks, its not that difficult
Here is a pic. of (Blue one) e-cap on #57.. The pos. goes up to wire wound resistor.. I'm thinking like you with it being a repair guy patching it up. I guess when I replace the caps in the bakelite I shouldn't wire in that capacitor and see how it does. What do you think?

Thanks Ken

Ken, the pic is not in your post...

Here's the photo.

[Image: http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah18...fivpku.png]

Directions for linking your photos from Photobucket may be found here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4371

The directions are a bit outdated, but you should be able to post photos from Photobucket by following these directions.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Finally got the bakelites taken care of. Turned it on and got a low buzz. I got some voltage readings and 78 rf looks bad.
i'm going back double checking things. Here are my readings:
TUBE.............................MY READINGS...................................... TEXTBOOK READING
80 rect:....................... F-F 4.93........P-P 740v.............................F-F 5.0.......p-k (p-p?) 350v
78 IF:..........................F-F 5.98......p-k 220v............................ F-F 6.3...... p-k........ 210
75 2cd det.................. F-F 5.9........ p-k 202v..............................6.3............ p-k........ 120
42 driver 2cd A.F.........F-F 5.98.......p-k 236v..............................6.3............p-k........ 205
6a7.............................F-F 6.0........ p-k 271................................6.3........... p-k..........210
78 RF.......................... F-F 6.01........p-k 4v.............................6.3........... p-k.......... 210
42 output.................... F-F 6.09.......p-k 291v.............................6.3.............p-k......... 280
42 output.....................F-F 6.15......p-k 291................................6.3........... p-k...........280

(11-01-2015, 12:06 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi Ken and welcome!
Remove the 80 tube and measure the AC voltage from pin 2 to pin 3. These are the two smaller pins on the socket. Be careful as if it's working you will see about 600-700vac there. Set must be on to measure the ac voltage.

Terry

I did as you said and got 757vac on 80 tubes smaller pins. I  also tested with the tube in and got 740vac from the two smaller pins (P-P). I was looking at the chart and it says 350vac from p-k. I was assuming they meant p-p however seeing the results I was wondering if they meant a different reading?

Ken

I am testing the detector transformer (wire coil) and i get continuity between 4 prongs (one being the back one ).The other 2 prongs i get nothing. I believe this is 2 wires strung on 6 prongs. Which means i have a bad detector transformer. I would like a second opinion. If you have the schematic the Detector transformer is # 10.

From your voltage readings it seems as thou your  primary of your 1st IF transformer is open.  Measure the HV on the connections of the transformer (IF). If you are lucky  you won't find any HV there, meaning that the loss of HV is somewhere else or a broken coil lead inside the IF can. Short of that you'll need to replace that transformer.

Terry

Ok I'll check the IF transformer also .Since I have the detector transformer out if I check continuity on the 6 prong and 4 of them have continuity to each other and two have no continuity would that mean the primary is out of this one?

Thanks ken

See post #19.

Ken, why did you delete your photo?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-09-2015, 07:00 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  From your voltage readings it seems as thou your  primary of your 1st IF transformer is open.  Measure the HV on the connections of the transformer (IF). If you are lucky  you won't find any HV there, meaning that the loss of HV is somewhere else or a broken coil lead inside the IF can. Short of that you'll need to replace that transformer.

Terry

Going back to the voltage reading I miss type 6a7 and 78 RF. The 6a7 is 271v and the 78rf is 4v. Sorry that may change your perspective a little.

(11-09-2015, 08:54 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  See post #19.

Ken, why did you delete your photo?

I didn't deleteit.... i put it in a folder which i guess changed the address. Sorry I m not that good with how this works yet. I read the directions you gave me and still a little lost on what you can do and not do(like move a pic. to a folder)

Yep, if you move the photo it does change the address and then the link that was previously used to post the photo will no longer work.

UP DATED VOLTS AFTER I REWIRED PRIMARY ON DETECTOR TRANSFORMER
TUBE.............................MY READINGS...................................... TEXTBOOK READING
80 rect:....................... F-F 4.98........P-K 348......P-P748.............F-F 5.0.......p-k 350v
78 IF:..........................F-F 6.10......p-k 226v............................ F-F 6.3...... p-k........ 210
75 2cd det.................. F-F 6.12........ p-k 206v..............................6.3............ p-k........ 120
42 driver 2cd A.F.........F-F 6,10.......p-k 244v..............................6.3............p-k........ 205
6a7.............................F-F 6.15........ p-k 284................................6.3........... p-k..........210
78 RF.......................... F-F 6.17........p-k 285v.............................6.3........... p-k.......... 210
42 output.................... F-F 6.19.......p-k 301v.............................6.3.............p-k......... 280
42 output.....................F-F 6.21......p-k 300V................................6.3........... p-k...........280
TEXTBOOK READINGS..............80............................200.........................80.................80........................300
SG-K.. VOLTS... 78 IF..............223V.....42 DRIVER.....240V....6A7..(SG3-K)121...78RF...292...BOTH 42 OUT..240V

On the 80 rectifier measure the voltage from cathode to plate that's on the transformer #6 to #9  also measure from cathode to chassis ground. What are these voltages?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris