Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio battery boxes

This is what it is all about, sharing stuff for Philcos. What a great group! What you will provide will be of use to many Philoco Phans.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(11-09-2015, 10:57 AM)AI2V Wrote:  I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 1928 era "Philco Socket Power B" supplies. Mine was seriously damage by acid leaks so I gutted it and was able to install a modified ARBE III supply. No holes were drilled in the front panel and only one binding post added.  Configuration and access to the ARBE taps are easily made by opening the top.

I just sold a really good original one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

That is very nice of you and though you are sharing, you deserve something for your time and effort.
Maybe a trade would make you feel better.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

(11-10-2015, 07:33 AM)OldRestorer Wrote:  That is very nice of you and though you are sharing, you deserve something for your time and effort.
Maybe a trade would make you feel better.

Kirk

Well, I'm not really worried about it. From time to time I need thing's here too and people have helped me. With my job the way it is i dont always have the time to work on the few radios I have but when I do I appreciate the help others give.There could be a time you can give me a hand with something, who knows...but if not it I like to help anyway. thx

Well, it looks like I received the battery. Only thing is the 2 ends have no cardboard. It looks like by the picture part of one end was on the box (mysteriously missing now) so I am assuming the ends had cardboard over them too. does anyone know if that is true and did the ends have the same design as the rest of the cardboard around the battery? Should be fairly easy to fix in photoshop, just need to know if it had the blue on top and white on the bottom to match the rest of the box or what. If someone can let me know or show a pic of the end would be a help. As soon as im finished I will post the scan on the site for all to use.

link to see the flap on the side im talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Philco-R...true&rt=nc

ARRG! Perhaps that was why the seller didn't show the ends of the battery. I would guess a little graphics there but perhaps someone can show what existed. On most, both ends were the same.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Wait... Those pics are different on the listing???
I saw torn missing pieces and a rip down the side when I looked at the auction when it started...
That is why I said no to buying it. So why does the bttery look different now?

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Not the same as your Phiclo AB battery, but maybe these scans of mine will help you. The two sides are the same. The bottom of plain blue. One end is square cut so it just looks like a smooth, solid, plain blue like the bottom. The other end folds in after the battery guts are inserted. I have shown a picture of a side, the top with the connector, and the folded end.

[Image: http://40.media.tumblr.com/b63448595f426...1_1280.jpg]

[Image: http://36.media.tumblr.com/08963fbf3e5e3...2_1280.jpg]

[Image: http://40.media.tumblr.com/6682770e26c47...3_1280.jpg]

Hope this is of some use to you.

Ahhh, ok Mike... thanks very much. I take it the other side is solid blue like the one you showed in the pic. It looks like the ends would be solid blue with one side sealed with probably flaps on all 4 sides folded together and glued. The other side has the cutouts to fit it together after the battery is installed. The connector on this one is on one side, will need to make a cutout for it. I think I should be able to add the ends in on the photoshop fix. I will work on it as soon as I can, hopefully wont take long unless I run into some obstacles. I figure I will take it apart and scan it folded out flat then in photoshop add the ends and fix all the colors. I will let you all know about the progress. Thanks again.

Yea Jerry, they always hide something don't they?

Kirk, I don't remember seeing any other pictures of the battery, not sure.

By sides I mean the long and broad panel, the largest of those I scanned, that is on both sides of the battery. The connector on mine is on top, as shown. The bottom is a plain, solid blue panel. The one end is a plain, solid blue panel, made by folding and fitting the underlying end flaps of the sides, top and bottom together, with one of the sides folded over last; but the end for slipping in the guts has the clever flaps as shown.

I'm sorry; I looked away for a few days.  Is this the same battery that operates the Mystery Control, or is that a different brick?

Just to let everyone know, I have been working on the battery box in photoshop, man looks like I forgot how much work it is to use phototshop on something like this Icon_eek .. You have pretty much go over every bit of it or the part you fix will look different than the rest. But have been busy on it so I have gotton a lot done, hopefully mot much longer until its finished... just an update for you.

DeckApe, if you mean for a battery that fits inside the MysteryBox, I don't think its the same. This one is about 7-1/2 -inches wide, 3-3/4 inches tall and 2 1/8 inches deep.

There is no rush,
Just do a good job or I will send it back Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(11-23-2015, 05:33 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  There is no rush,
 Just do a good job or I will send it back Icon_lol

Me

Icon_eek  I cant have any returns... I will do my best. Icon_e_wink

Well, looks like i'm finally done making the battery box jpg. But, I tried posting with it as an attachtment but it wont take it. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do? It said the jpg file was too big, and I think it was going to put it showing  a picture instead of a file to download in the post. I am hoping someone can help with this. does it need to be in another format or is jpg ok ? I noticed others have an attachment in pdf format that seems to work but I didn't want to convert this to pdf.. thought it might ruin the graphics. Thanks, Warren