Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco P-4735 voltage questions.

Hey everyone, Maybe someone here can answer this. Just got done restoring the radio on my '49 Packard. I replaced all the caps and most of the resistors as they had drifted in value. I hooked up the 6 volt car battery and powered the set up for the first time. All I got was a hum at the speaker which changed with the volume control. I did a voltage check and my B+ voltages were low, so I checked the voltage on the battery which sure enough was low as well. So, now I hooked up my 6 volt battery charger to the radio and powered it on again. This time I could hear the vibrator ( a brand new solid state one)kick in and voila, the radio came to life! However, when I went to do some voltage checks, the B+ voltages on my meter show about 1/2 of what the schematic says they should be, i.e. pin 3 on one of the 7C5 output tubes reads 120vdc where the schematic says it should be 240vdc? I haven't aligned the set yet but I'm getting local stations with plenty of volume. I'm using the same digital multimeter I've used on other sets and it's always read voltages correctly. This is my first car radio resto so I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco P-4735 voltage questions. - by David - 12-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Philco P-4735 voltage questions. - by 37silverstreak - 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM