Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Value of my Philco Antique Radio

I have an antique Philco Radio. I don't know the year it was made and the value.
Can someone help me ? Where can I find a buyer for this.
I live in Quebec (Sherbrooke)
My email address is nancy.lague AT hotmail DOT com

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Hello,

It looks like a model 41-285, for model year 1941. It would've been made between 1940 and 1941. As to the value, that's hard to say. From what I can tell by the photograph it looks to be in excellent condition, but electroniclly a photograph can't convey it's condition. Has it been re-capped? Electroniclly restored? A listing on ebay might find you a buyer. Not many people want to ship a large console but maybe you could find a local buyer through an antique radio club in your area. Maybe some of the others on the forum can give you better advice. Good luck and welcome to the phorum.

Mike

Thats a nice vintage Philco! Dont try to power it on until fully serviced electronically! I have purchased similar yr model Philcos consoles in same condition for under $50. US. Shipping large items such as these is much less expensive using the Bus freight services on these type items if you find a buyer! Good luck with your vintage Philco!Better idea, get it restored electronically, and keep-it!? Just a idea. Icon_wink

All too often folks not familiar with old radios associate big consoles with big value. I'm not being critical here but I'm often asked the same question about old consoles that are found in some uncles' basement or attic; the answer is sometimes "negative dollars" as demand and the cost of moving and shipping come into view.

The problem with these floor models is that there is limited demand due to size; people these days often just don't have the floor space for them; collectors on the other hand can often find the space. Even then, spouses will reach a breaking point when the garage overflows with consoles.

I've allowed myself one console, and that's an Atwater Kent 559 that cost all of $50. I had a Philco 38-690 for close to 40 years and sold two years ago; it was one of the exceptions to the "size matters" rule.

Pete AI2V

If it's the right console, I'll make room for daddy, despite any objections from my illustrious family. Spouse? I got ridda her 18 years ago.

Seems about the only console-type vintage radios of the past to be excited about these days are the very-rare Zenith Stratospheres? Im sure any Philco owner would be more than happy to trade for one of those with their nicest Philcos?, but then again, is the trade even worth it for receiving AM & SW radios signals these days? Although, Im sure Rush Limbaugh would also sound even better on a vintage multi-count tube push-pull Zenith!, or a equally high $$ Fada,or other brand rare catalin set?? ... this old vintage radio restorer (myself),...doesnt get too-excited about any these console-sets anymores! Most of em are equal in reception, if properly aligned, for "reception" anyways!! I might pay a extra $5 for a Stratosphere at a garage-sale if I find one! (hee hee), but until then, "Rush" sounds just fine on all my other vintage Radios indeed, and Im listenin indeed! Since Rush & the EIB network uses the very-best high-dollar Neumann Studio Broadcast microphones ( made in W Germany as always since the 1940s) costing more than $8000. each, Im sure the broadcasts will sound equal over-the-air anyways!!Invest in a great vintage type Neumann Broadcast microphone instead of vintage radio-receivers? A good ol tube-preamp broadcast Mic design such as a Neumann U-87 can sound just as good over the AM airwaves into a 50s made cheap 5 tube minature plastic 5-tube set receiver! Reckon? Just a thought!!My restored vintage Philcos console radios- receivers, or any others brands vintage tubes radio-receivers will never know the difference!! They ALL sound equally good on AM reception when properly restored these days, but that ol vintage "juke-box" sound is further- amplified with all the tubes, most not necessary as we all know!! If any you guys have a spare Zenith Stratosphere for sale, I will offer $55 for it. Otherwise, I will enjoy my others instead!!(hee hee) Those old tube-radios from the past ALL sound the same these days anyways,except for volume and cabinet , spkr designs. OK,.. I would go for $ 60. on the spare Stratosphere laying around in your basement!? Send photos!! Icon_wink

Actually, as far as Zeniths go, I'd sooner have one of the 1938 model teardrop bezel black shutterdial radios w/ p-p audio and a decent power transformer. I'm sure the "Strats" are very nice, and they're very impressive looking, but they just don't grab me the same way. You might as well call all blackdial Zeniths "strats" anyhole, because, on ebay, everyone of 'em gets bid right out of the stratosphere. I sure can't afford to buy one with the way they get bid right out of sight. It seems to be the same 5 or 6 clowns bidding on every one of 'em. It's like they have to have every one of 'em, they just can't leave one or two for somebody else. Update: Yup, another one bid clear out of the galaxy.