Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Beam of Light Changer

Hi Friends,

I recently acquired and scanned some good service literature on the 1942 Philco Beam of Light (BOL) changer. Some of it is repetitive, but I will share it all in case it is helpful to anyone. For a more permanent method of keeping them available, I can also upload them to the Phorum resources as well. Below is a description of the files and here is a link: Andy's Beam of Light Resources

-- Andy 

1. Philco Radio Service Bulletin No. 402 – August 1941: The service information in this bulletin covers adjustments and replacement parts for Philco automatic record changers Part No. 35-1285 (standard changer), 35-1286 and 35-1289 (deluxe changers).  Philco models 42-1008, 42-1009, 42-1010, 42-1011, 42-1012 and 42-1013 used changer 35-1285.  Philco model 42-1015 used changer 35-1289 and model 42-1016 used changer 35-1286.    These three changers are identical with the exception of the color of the mounting plate, the plating of parts on top of changers, color of the turntable flocking, and electrical wiring circuits for operation.  The differences are indicated in the replacement parts list and electrical wiring diagrams.
  2. Philco Confidential Service Bulletin No. 26 – Aug. 16, 1941:The New Philco Record Changer for 1942 is such a big improvement over all other record changers, in its simplicity of design and construction, that all of the adjustments are easy to make and there is no likelihood of any particular part failure. Some changes were made in production to further improve the performance reliability of the record changers. It will not be necessary to add these improvements to all record changers, but each serviceman should be aware of them and should take advantage of these improvements in case of some serious service complaint.
  3. Philco Service: 1942 Auto. Record Changer – Feb. 1945:This manual includes complete service information for the 1942 Philco Automatic Record Changer. The contents are arranged to provide you with a logical, systematic reconditioning procedure. It is clearly illustrated. It is factory-proved.
  4. Philco Changer Manual: This manual includes all the same service data as in the above 1945 dated Philco Service Automatic Record Changer, but this one is undated – I expect it came out after the above one, but am not sure. The images in this one are not as good as the 1945 manual.
  5. Philco Parts 1948: This is several pages from a 1948 Philco parts catalog that shows the Beam of Light changer parts available at that time.  It shows the kit that allowed folks to change the 1942 variable speed bell drive to the single speed rim drive. It also shows the light beam reproducer parts disassembled and pretty clear.

andy
link not working

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks Sam - corrected.

Thanks for even more hard work! Icon_thumbup

One minor correction, though: The two speed bell drive changers were only used in 1942 Philco models. The 1941 models had single speed (78 rpm) rim drive changers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Your work to document is laudable. Are you a colector of sets as well?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Andy, you are probably thinking by now that all I do is point out errors.

But this one I can't let pass by...and it is not your fault.

I was just on your Wordpress page (I followed your link above), and was going to look at the pages from the 1948 Philco parts catalog. I can't believe someone imprinted the cover with a non-existent address. It's McGee Trafficway, not McKee Trafficway.

I was born in KC, lived there until I was 12...I know.

I'll bet the folks at Federal Distributing were upset when they received their allotment of catalogs and saw that glaring error!

2558 McGee Trafficway is now right in the center of the Hallmark Cards complex.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Great info Andy, thanks Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Interesting Ron - i bet they were steamed to have the wrong address printed on all their catalogs! And to get to Paul's question, I do collect sets as well, I have about 50 table and console Philcos.

Thanks Andy!!

andy
thank you lot of good info
did not know about two piece tone arm ?

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2