Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rare Truetone Tombstone twin speaker

(01-04-2016, 11:32 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Arran, I think this is the wrinkle paint.

If it helps, I can take a picture of the console chassis above. I still have that radio and I am sure it is either the same or very similar chassis.

Russ;
  It would be interesting to see that actually. I wonder what the motivation was behind using two 6'' speakers rather then an 8'' or a 10'' in that tombstone? Does your console use the same size speakers or are they larger ones? I have an empty Airline tombstone cabinet that is very similar, though less elaborate then the one Fred fixed up, the grill actually looks like it should have had dual speakers as it is wide and separated down the middle, I don't think it did though. The cabinet is inexpensively built in my opinion, the bottom is cheap plywood with the molding nailed to it, the only fancy wood is on the front panel I think. I've held onto in in the faint hope that I might locate a chassis and other bits to fit it, maybe from a trashed console.
  I don't know how exactly Monty Wards operated, did they design and have the cabinets built and then source chassis from various radio manufacturers? I know that some were made by U.S Radio and Television, but Wells Gardner and Belmont made a lot of Airline chassis too. One thing that is unfortunate about most American makes is that they seemed to like using paper labels on the back aprons of chassis to mark out the model number and other information, almost all Canadian sets had metal plates with this information.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rare Truetone Tombstone twin speaker - by Arran - 01-05-2016, 03:14 AM