Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 1905. Please Help!

Hello!
So, I just started renting my grandparents house, and saved this from being thrown out.

I'm having trouble finding any info on this particular model.
I know it needs a new needle, but I'm not sure what I need or where to find it. Can anyone help?

The plug at the end of the power cable seems to have been removed as well. Should just be a standard two prong plug, right?

There is also a photo included in the album of some attachment or something. Can you please help identify?

Photos: http://1drv.ms/1mLmNQ6

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Sorry, can't help with any info on that one but someone will likely be able to help.

A little too new for most of us here but did look it up in my Sam's Photofact index but no listing. Looks to be built in the mid 70's. It being Canadian you may have to look into finding it's in info up there.

Terry

Maybe there are forums where folks restore 60s-70s radios.

Maybe someone here does. Mostly we here are 20s to 40s Philco pholks. But....you never know who is lurking in the Shadow of the Meter....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello,
 The plug end is a standard 2 prong. (It may have been removed for a reason....) post a clear picture of the end of the cord. If it was cut then I would not just plug it in. It is a Canadian set but it says it is 120V. It may have had a Canadian plug end.

The needle for the player can be found at Voiceofmusic.com. If you cant locate the correct replacement then remove the cartridge and get the number off of it. If it is the original cartridge then it will be a philco. On the back of the radio or inside of it, There should be a paper glued to the inside with a schematic and pertinent information. Many times there is a sticker on the side of the tone arm with the cart # and the Needle #. If you can get a clear picture of the cartridge without all the crud on it, I can tell you how to remove it. Make sure to unhook the rear wires before messing with the cartridge! The wires have female ends that will slide off the male ends attached to the cartridge but the wires are fragile so be careful. The piece in your last photo that clips on to the cabinet is the 45 adapter to play the 45 RPM records with the large center hole. I will check on your needle and get back to you. Don't remove the cartridge yet.
Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Hi Stevie

Unfortunately, Philco of Canada's decision to use a completely different model numbering scheme than USA Philco resulted in this dilemma for you - that is, you can't find service info for your mid-1960s stereo console because the model number does not match any USA Philco model number.

I am sorry. I wish I could do more for you.

You might try contacting Just Radios. They do offer a schematic coping service for Canadian-built radios, but they may not have anything for a unit made relatively recently, such as your Philco stereo console.

http://www.justradios.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses!
I decided to take the back plate off and try to find some info inside. I came across a label under the turntable listing it as a VM 1297-A96. From what I've searched, it seems to be https://www.turntableneedles.com/mobile/..._1047.html
I'll check the tone arm closer to see if I can find more specifics.

Thanks again!!!!

Hey, 

I am thinking this is your cart in the link below. To confirm you will have to remove the cart. I believe the whole head should be able to be removed by removing that white button. Then gently pull off the head. Dont remove the cart. f this is the right head then there should be a number inside the head. Clean that head and look for a number..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHONOGRAPH-CARTR...xy0uZR1Fzh

kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

(02-20-2016, 09:42 PM)Zoyd Wrote:  I found the right stylus on ebay!! 2 for $30 & the stereo sounds fantastic!!

(01-09-2016, 11:57 PM)StevieGreggs Wrote:  Thanks everyone for your helpful responses!
I decided to take the back plate off and try to find some info inside. I came across a label under the turntable listing it as a VM 1297-A96. From what I've searched, it seems to be https://www.turntableneedles.com/mobile/..._1047.html
I'll check the tone arm closer to see if I can find more specifics.

Thanks again!!!!

Hey Stevie

I came across a Philco 1905 just last month here in Alberta - did you find the right needle for yours??

Zoyd

Welcome to the Phorum!

When replying with quote, make sure you start outside the "Quote" part, otherwise it looks as if you wrote nothing.

Also when you see a double, as the owner you can delete the unneeded one.

best,

Mike

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.