Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pilot G-674 restoration

I finished my Pilot G-674!

I dismantled it, cleaned it, did a full re-stuffing recap and resistor redo, and put her back together.. First picture is the before and last is the after.
I removed all the caps and labeled every wire since I am not the greatest with schematics. I then baked the caps at 300* until the wax melted out. I took a screwdriver and quickly pushed out all the insides before the wax got hard again. I put all the new caps in each one, stuffed them with hot glue almost to the ends and then crushed up the original wax, put it in the ends and melted it over the glue. They came out just like the originals so that made me happy. I re-stuffed the Ecaps on top and bottom also.

Me

[attachment=9243]    

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

More pictures

As of 1/01/2021

Lookin' good Kirk Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Nice job Kirk. How well does it play?

Very nice job so far. I look forward to hearing about the alignment, and how it receives and sounds when completed.

BeautiFUL,,,Clean,,nice Job,,,eeeasy on the eyes

Here she is all finished...
LOL, Mike I cant align radios very well but this one doesn't seem to need it. It plays well all over the dial.

http://vid821.photobucket.com/albums/zz1...G_0074.mp4

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk
Nice job. But.   Eye tube did not work
I'll pick it up this weekend

Not That me. But me me

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

You are welcome to it Sam. The 6G5 is dead. I have a new 6E5 I will put in.

Now I have to repair the extensive termite damage.... Grrrrrr.

Best Me  Icon_wave

As of 1/01/2021

Looks like a winner, make sure the Termites is all gone!

Paul

Tubetalk1

They are long dead! The really ate the crap of the cabinet though. Only on part of the base wood under the veneer though. I have to fill along the whole side and top of the inside of the radio where they tunneled...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Can you use a 6e5 to replace a 6g5? I didn't think they were interchangeable.

Yes you can use the 6E5 for the 6G5

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Thanks, Kirk. Good to know. The 6gs and 6us are a bit too pricey. I guess a 6e would work for a 6u as well?

(02-03-2016, 02:33 PM)leftwing25 Wrote:  Can you use a 6e5 to replace a 6g5?  I didn't think they were interchangeable.

You can use a 6E5 in place of a 6G5 but the 6E5 is a more sensitive tube so the shadow will sometimes overlap. The 6E5 will react to less grid voltage then a 6G5 or a 6U5, so it may require some circuit modification for the 6E5 to perform properly.
Regards
Arran