Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new RCA 6T-7 tombstone

I have an add running  on the local Kijiji asking for old radios or parts. and as a result   I bought this RCA
 model T6-7 tombstone radio. The heaters are in series which I have not seen in a tombstone .
  It looks to be untouched under the chassis, and the cabinet just needs to be cleaned up. The chassis sure needs to be cleaned. I think that back panel kept all the dust bunnies in the radio.
 Knobs and grill cloth are original.
 It should be fun

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Good looking cabinet Dan. The chassis looks good also, no rust. Does the cabinet have photo finish on the face?

Them RCAs are a good radio. This one is a real nice one.
Myself I want a 140. It started the Soviet superhet production.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the back is original to that set.  You don't really see many tombstones with a back like that.  I looked at a couple of other RCA 6T's and didn't see any evidence of a back, BUT, if someone did actually make that back, they did one heck of a nice job.  Good score Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

As mentioned, dusty not rusty. Rather deal with the dust. You will enjoy the set when done, pretty good player.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Right now I am working on the chassis , and I didn't have a good look at the cabinet but I think it is real wood.
  That back looks like it was there from the factory.
  I have the RCA red books ,but I could not find the schematics listed ,,for this model. the ones I got from Radio museum are a little blurry , but I am wadding through it.
 Thanks for the comments,,,,,,  Dan

Nice radio Dan , I like the wheat pattern grill cloth on that model design.

Dan;
  I think that is a U.S built RCA that someone imported, the Canadian built ones from Montreal always had a power transformer, an Ontario Hydroelectric Power Commission decal, and also a brass plate on the chassis. It may be an AC/DC set, a 32 volt set, or a DC mains only set, but probably an AC/DC if it has a rectifier tube and a large dropping resistor.
Regards
Arran

I am having some problems reading the schematics from Radio museum. they are just not clear enough.. I also have the RCA red books and I can't find it in there.
  The console model of this radio is a model C6-8 and I can't find it either.
  The problem is  the electrolytic caps,, the numbers are just too blurry.
 If anyone has the schematics please let me know
 Thanks Dan.

I don't know if this will help. Its a 96T7 schematic I found online.
http://oldtech.net/RCA/VolII/617-C.gif

Thanks Mike.. My radio does not have a transformer. I did get through the replacement of the caps and it plays good. There was no rust  just dust. I did the cabinet with gojo and then trade secret.  I also did the knobs with  the old brasso
      It looks pretty good now, but I might put a phono jack in , for a MP3.
Here are the finished photos 

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful job, Dan!

A quick look at the schematic shows the back is factory original, as it's even mentioned on the schematic, due to the interlock cord.

However, why it has an interlock cord is a bit of a mystery to me.  Although it is a series filament radio, it does not appear that either side of the power line is attached to the chassis.  C2 (0.01uF) isolates the chassis from the radio neutral.

Did you get your answer on the electrolytic cap sizes? C37 is 24 uF and C38 is 16 uF.  Stock number 11821 on the parts list.

Nice job Dan, put it on display and start on another Icon_eek

I did get the caps figured out and I installed a phono jack, and as Fred Taylor  says 'put it on the shelf and start another''.
 It is starting to warm up  here in Alberta so I can't wait to get into the garage and get started.. I have  8 cabinets to do work on..

(02-08-2016, 10:40 AM)Dan Walker Wrote:         I did get the caps figured out and I installed a phono jack, and as Fred Taylor  says 'put it on the shelf and start another''.
 It is starting to warm up  here in Alberta so I can't wait to get into the garage and get started.. I have  8 cabinets to do work on..

dan
what`s warm to you Icon_question
when the temp goes to the positive side of the thermometer Icon_eek

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2