Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Better reception on one radio, when plugging in another? What the???

I have successfully restored two 53-1750 Philco radio phonographs.  On Sunday  nights in South Florida, of all things, there is 1950's DooWop show on AM Radio 850  WFTL (Miami) from 6-9 PM, so I listen to it on the Philco - how cool is that !!
Tonight however, i was getting poor reception, maybe due to heavy overcast weather -   and alot of buzzing on this 850 AM channel, while other strong local channels there was no buzzing.   So, I figured I'd plug in the other Philco (same electric circuit) -  as i leave them unplugged when not in use- and turn on the other one, to see if it was that particular radio buzzing or perhaps just a weak radio station signal tonight.   To my amazement, when I plugged in the other unit, even before I switched it on, the first radio, all of sudden picked up the station MUCH better, with almost no buzzing and when i turned on the other radio, was even better.   WTF???   I unplugged the second radio and the first one went back to a weak signal and buzzing.  Not sure exactly what's going on, very weird.  Any thoughts?

I could not answer that but I have had similar issues...
I have had outlets in the line of a dimmer switch and as you lower the lights, the reception gets better.
I have a radio that when you turn on the lights, it squeals like it is a Vampire. I am pretty sure that is the LED lights though...
They used to sell wall outlet plugs in the 40's with antenna terminals on them. This may be similar in a way.

Not sure....

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

In the previous house I had it when I had pronounced humming in all my radios that would subside when I turned lights in the hallway on. I also discovered that it exists on my small transistor pocket portable, but in this case it was possible to tune it out by rotating the radio due to the ferrite antenna strong directional selectivity.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I'm thinking that the second radio, which ofcourse has an antenna in it, picks up and relays radio waves through the same electric circuit in the house that the first radio is plugged into and helps it with a stronger signal.  OR maybe the Philcos are haunted !!   (one of those two things).

Time to call Ghost Busters !!! What happens to the second radio if you unplug the first? I will see if AM 850  WFTL comes in at night in North Florida. David

I didn't try it the other way around, but good question. WFTL - 850 am Miami - I believe it's a medium power station possibly you may be able to get some waves at night. The Ken Held DooWop show is on from 6-9 PM Sunday nights. If you can't get the station, perhaps there are some affiliate stations that carry the show?? I will try to find out

(03-22-2016, 07:39 PM)David Wrote:  Time to call Ghost Busters !!! What happens to the second radio if you unplug the first? I will see if AM 850  WFTL comes in at night in North Florida. David

I checked with the radio station.  There is no northern florida affiliate station but you can listen to the Ken Held DooWop show on the internet at 850wftl.com     Ofcourse, would be much cooler if you could get the actual airwaves on your restored Philco radio.

Tried to pick up AM850 no luck, picked up a station out of Kentucky.  March madness on Easter Sunday station cut in with info from the national weather service about a storm located 9 miles south of Louisville with quarter size hail. David

Sounds like you picked up WHAS in Louisville, 840 kc (kHz). They are a 50 kW clear channel station (not to be confused with Clear Channel, the company that owns several radio stations). I'm surprised WHAS is drowning out a station closer to you in Florida.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just check and WHAS is loud and clear, got a call sign at the end of a Fox news break. My local station located at 1250Am goes down to 700 watts at night unable to pick them up distance 15miles max. David