Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-670 Glowing Beam Indicator Problem

The glowing beam tuning indication on my 37-670 is too wide and does not appear well focused.  The bulb is a #55 (7 volts, 0.41 amp) and I do not know if it is the correct bulb. The projected image on the dial appears too wide and not well focused.  The image is also slanted to the left. I have not yet tried to adjust the projector lamp "funnel" in fear of breaking something after a very difficult restoration.  It is not exactly centered and straight ahead.  Moving the projector funnel forward and backward (only a small adjustment is possible) does not seem to matter.  Anybody have any suggestions of perhaps a photo of the mechanism from behind of a correctly working mechanism?  Thanks!

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip01.htm
Hi. You might read over this info. see if it helps you.

(03-23-2016, 04:50 PM)Mike Wrote:  http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip01.htm
Hi. You might read over this info. see if it helps you.

Thanks.  The problem is not with the shadow meter, but rather with the dial illumination and "glowing beam" dial pointer.  I'm thinking that the dial lamp reflector is not positioned correctly, or perhaps the wrong bulb is installed. I'm afraid of bending things without knowing where the parts should be positioned. 

Dave

Is there a vertical cylinder glass lens there?
There was a thread here with a similar problem.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(03-24-2016, 07:41 AM)morzh Wrote:  Dave

Is there a vertical cylinder glass lens there?
There was a thread here with a similar problem.

Yes, the vertical lens is in place.  I have attached some photos of the dial appearance as well as the position of the lamp hood.  Perhaps the dial lamp hood should be more centered vertically and horizontally? If the light hits more to the side of the vertical lens perhaps that causes the lack of focus? The lamp hood is off to one side and also appears to be too high.  I wanted to find out from some experts before attempting to bend the bracket (and with my luck, break it!)  Thanks.

This lens simply focuses the beam.

So you need to 1) make sure the dial is in focus of the lens, 2) the light bulb's filament oriented such that it creates a vertical most narrow line. If you need to adjust something - do it. Just do not break the glass rod.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The lamp and reflector is definitely too high and off to one side. It appears the bracket is bent, as it should be perpendicular to the dial. 

The lamp should be directly behind the glass lens and centered vertically with respect to the dial scales. Otherwise the lens will not focus the beam indicator sharply.