Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

voice coil for philco 37-116

Hi everyone , I’m working on 1937-philco model 37-116 . I just finished recapping, changed the power resistors, all the electrolitics, rubber chassis mounts, added an exterior fuse, new/ 3 pull on/off /bass/bass switch, new dial, cloth grill and some other things I just can think of now. The recapping was a lot work and time consuming !!   As of now i’m over 100 hours and counting. The problem I have now is the voice coil in the speaker is bad. I do have a speaker paper that is the same size. When I was about 3/4 the way done with the recapping,I  fired it up. It played well with another speaker tied into the old speaker transformer. Does anyone on this fine board, known where I can purchase a voice coil that will work. I did check on line, but so far negative results. also does anyone know how many ohms this speaker is? Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks Jeff

A little odd. You may want to check the leads going from the vc to the terminals on the output transformer and hum bucking coil. The wire size is enough that it should fail with some help. If the HB coil is open I'd jumper it out.

Terry

(03-27-2016, 04:15 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  A little odd. You may want to check the leads going from the vc to the terminals on the output transformer and hum bucking coil. The wire size is enough that it should fail with some help. If the HB coil is open I'd jumper it out.

Terry
Hi terry, Thanks for the reply. Shortly after my post, I took the speaker apart . The voice coil was open. I did find the break and not sure if I can solder it. I'm not sure of the ohms and cant find the value in my schematics . I did find a voice coil at a local old radio repair store that fits , but the ohms may be different. At any rate this is turning into a nightmare. I'm wondering if I can use a more modern speaker with the original speaker transformer??     jeff

Hi Jeff,

Ron has put together a very complete reference for Philco speaker data - you can find it here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

According to that the type 'W' speaker (part 36-1219) in your 37-116 has an impedance of 3.9 ohms.

(04-01-2016, 09:25 AM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Hi Jeff,

Ron has put together a very complete reference for Philco speaker data - you can find it here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

According to that the type 'W' speaker (part 36-1219) in your 37-116 has an impedance of 3.9 ohms.

Hi Nathan, Thanks very much for the information on my speaker. That is just the info I needed!! The voice coil i was going to use was 16 ohms. I’m going to back to that old radio part store and see if i can find the right one. If no luck with that, I may try to fix the original. I’m still wondering how difficult it wound be to add a more modern speaker. At any rate, thanks again for your help and this fine forum. I’ll let you know how it goes when I tackle this issue!!    Jeff

If you can use a micrometer to determine the gauge of the wire you could rewind it. Have never done it myself but have seen many vc and doesn't look to be all that difficult. I'd try soldering it. Can you post a pic of it??

Terry

Hi Terry/and Nathan, I went down to the old radio store and did find a 4 ohm voice coil. It was the same diameter but a little taller. I just glued the spider on voice coil.( this spider looks like a 45 record insert) I got the two coil wires glued to the cone and am going to connect them to the chock. I had to add 3/8 speaker gasket to the frame to give it some height. I’m not going to glue the top of the cone to the frame/gasket until I try it. The cone will be tight with about 1/8 inch voice coil movement. I’ll let you know how it turns out. jeff

One other option: A 38-116 speaker popped up on eBay:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14399

It looks like that speaker (W4) is the same as the W on the 37-116 except for the output transformer. And from the specs I think it should work in either model as is.