Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-8t extra parts and wire
Wink 

I was looking over the chassis and schematic trying to inventory what capacitors I needed when I came across something out of place. There is a wire sticking out the back through the hole where the power cable runs. Inside the chassis it is connected to a node in between two Incco .005uf caps ( the rest are philco caps). On the other side of the caps, one end goes to the 25Z5 pin 5 and the other cap end wire goes to the power switch.  Any idea of what that could be for? Did somebody try to hot rod this thing? Honestly it seems dangerous to have such a setup tied to mains voltage. Maybe this is left over from the old resistance line cord? None of this in the schematic. Curious as to what it was for.. picture is attached

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome,
Philco set never used a resistance line cord they did however use power resistor/s mounted to the chassis.Would just rewire as per the schematic and forget what was done in the past.

Terry

There should be nothing there, as the power switch becomes 0V of the rectifier, but after the "line" wire there is the ballast resistor (not sure what it says there, I don't think Philco used ballast tubes, I think they used Candohms that were riveted to the chassis) that takes care of extra voltage for the filaments, so as terry said, the simplest and reliable way is to follow the sch. Proper resistors can be bought and riveted and wired in.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.