Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cleaning philco dials

I know that a lot of the mid 30's Philco dials such as the ones seen at the top pictures in the Phorum especially at the extreme right. are sensitive to water . how are youll cleaning these fragile dials? Thank you for any help you can give  Norman

OMS is the way to go. But be gentle.

Terry

Terry
Oms ?

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I've had good luck with IPA (rubbing alcohol) and a cotton bud... never taken any of the ink off yet. I then give a rub over with an almost dry soft cloth - slightly wetted with 3-in-1 oil... just enough to give it a shine. I've done this on a couple of them now with good results. The only problem I've noted is that the oil can attract, and retain, dust. I'm sure there are better options for the rub over... maybe nothing is a better option - but I just prefer the look.

As with anything, your mileage may vary... test in a corner first...

Cheers

Steve

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

(05-09-2016, 10:59 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  OMS is the way to go. But be gentle.

Terry

Odorless mineral spirits

Terry

Yes. Just yesterday I used OMS on the 620 dial. Good result - lots of black dirt on the paper towel and clean scale. Took more than one wiping.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thank you folks for the ideas will try the oms. Norman

One note: When you use mineral spirits, do not rub the lettering hard, else it will start to remove the lettering...a light touch is best.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron.   Norman

Is turpentine ok in a pinch. ??