Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

where do I start?

Please point me to old Philco 101. I'm new to this and would like to know what do with my new old radio/turntable - before even plugging it in - so I don't wreck anything. I tried searching and wasn't successful, so please forgive me if it's really obvious.

thanks for the add

Jake

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Good start by not plugging it in! Here's a good place to start reading Phil's Old Radios - Beginners. All the electrolytic and paper capacitors will need replacing in your set. Out of spec (i.e. more than +/- 20%) resistors also. Read through threads on this phorum to get a feeling for what folks are doing. Ask questions here as well, there are many friendly folks to answer.

It looks like you have a model 41-603P . You can get a free schematic at Nostalgiaair or order a clearer readable set of schematics from Chuck Schwark for a few bucks.

I've never worked on a phonograph so others will need to help there but most are repairable.

The 1941 sets suffer from rubber wire insulation that degraded so you may have a lot of rewiring to do. You need to read Ron's write up on rubber wire replacement.

Also, note that this set does not have a power transformer so working on the set while energized can expose you directly to the full house voltage and current. You should use an isolation transformer to lower the risk of electrocution.

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted.