Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio chassis type 14

Pin 5 is showing 9 volts, no negative there unfortunately.

The sch quality sucks of course....can't see squat. I wish you had access to a better quality sch. Might wanna buy one from Chuck.

This said, there is the band switch involved with the RF section, including the generator.

Have it cleaned and see if it indeed makes good connections.

Another thing, if you have a second radio, see by putting them together if the oscillator oscillates. Looks like it does not.
Cleaning the switch might help.

Or you could be one of the unfortunate ones with the coils that need baking.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/1491.jpg
See if this works

Much better. I forgot we have 14 too. Usually when someone gives a link to a poorly looking sch on NA (God bless them, they are great) I assume we do not have it here and I am too lazy to check Icon_lol

Oh....waitasec....it is different sch! different tube lineup, no switch....what the...?
Got it.
We here have the early set, and Jr here has the later one.

Sorry Mike, this sch no will do.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok I will see if I can find one. I was just trying to give you something quick to use. Like you said before Chuck schematics best bet.

Mine is the later model 14, I have a model 144x, what if I ran it next to that? I'm using a schematic from an actual Perpetual Manual from Rider. So my drawing is clear, I had copies but the scans are not clear. I'd like to get some schematics from the guy who sells the complete set for another radio, but unfortunately he's not on board with paypal yet.

http://www.theoldradiofixerupperguy.com/...l14_91.pdf
Maybe this is it?
Yes with Chuck in the resources here, I send him a check and he mails the information to you. It will take a few days but I think worth it.

Yep that's it.

One more update, so I changed the one resistor that was out of tolerance off of the oscillator transformer, and even changed to a different 6A7 tube from a working unit and still no change on the #5 pin at 9 volts. I'm guessing the oscillator transformer has some kind of problem but don't know how to fix it.

Jr

From your voltages in a previous post it is not clear what pins they relate to in the tubes.
As I asjed before: please be precise in hour info. The string like

6A7: 234, 9.2, 4.5, 0, 0, 39.5, 46.8

Does not tell me anyghing. Some voltages on some pins. If I were to guess, and the pins are 1 through 8, then 9V is at pin 2 and we know it is at pin 5. Please annotate either by number or function.

Now, I'm concerned by the voltages on the 6A7. Pin 4 should be pretty high.
Measure the V at both ends of resistors 21 and 22.

Okay I should have clarified the pins on the 6A7. 1 and 2 are the filiment so I'll leave them out. 2- 247, 3- 26.1, 4- 21.1, 5- 9.1, and 6- 3.3. The point where you telling me to measure at the 2 resistors measures at 169 volts.

You mean, all 4 points to GND (each resistor has to points) are 169V?
OK.

Then measure (turn the radio off) with Ohmmeter

1)Both resistors 21 and 22 - are they 20k as per the sch?
2)From the upper (per the sch) end of the res 21 to pin 4 of 6A7. You should see 3.3 Ohm, as per the sch.

I use the chassis as my grounding point to check my voltages, I checked the point where the 2 20k resistors meet but I didn't think to check the bottom end of each resistor. I replaced both of those resistors with good 20k resistors as the old ones were out of tolerance. I'll get some more measurements this afternoon when I get home from work.

Jr,

1) Do the #2 of what I asked you before. (resistance)
2) Get the voltage of the upper pin of the #21 (the one where it meets the coil #16 and the cap #19).

One more thing: please, if asked to do a measurement do what asked. There is a reason it is asked. Otherwise the time is wasted.

Okay first with the ohm measurement on the upper end as per the schematic to pin #4 on the 6A7, my ohm meter reads 3.8 ohms, to much? Where the 21 and 22 meet on cap 20 that voltage read 169v, that was to the V and grounded to chassis. The other end of the #22 was at 320v (ground to chassis) where it's ties to the #54 cap. Measuring the #21 cap at the other end it measures 21.6V (ground at chassis). Measuring the #22 res ar both ends it reads at 145V and the #21 at 147V. Hopefully the information I provided was clear enough to see what's going on there.