Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 radio cabinet restoration chronicles

Kirk good job I like your work!!

That Kadette looks beautiful as does the little radio in #26, what model is that one?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks guys..

The #26 os a General Motors 4052 (Delco)
It is one of my favorites and I found the knobs thanks to Mike Koste!

I changed the grill cloth in the Kadette and finished RCA T4-10

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

See if it is one of the speaker field coil ones. Those were on their last leg and were breaking right at the FC edge. Otherwise bring it back in the fall.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-29-2016, 12:35 PM)morzh Wrote:  See if it is one of the speaker field coil ones. Those were on their last leg and were breaking right at the FC edge. Otherwise bring it back in the fall.

That's a Very, very dangerous issue there Kirk.  To prevent your electrocution #57, please box that complete General Motors 4052 up and send it to me.  I have a very high dielectric lined safety vault I will store that radio in so no one will ever be harmed by it.  This will prevent your future electrocution and possible lawsuits from visitors.

Please pack well and double box.

Icon_thumbup Icon_crazy Icon_wtf

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Good try John!

(06-29-2016, 03:51 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  
(06-29-2016, 12:35 PM)morzh Wrote:  See if it is one of the speaker field coil ones. Those were on their last leg and were breaking right at the FC edge. Otherwise bring it back in the fall.

That's a Very, very dangerous issue there Kirk.  To prevent your electrocution #57, please box that complete General Motors 4052 up and send it to me.  I have a very high dielectric lined safety vault I will store that radio in so no one will ever be harmed by it.  This will prevent your future electrocution and possible lawsuits from visitors.

Please pack well and double box.

Icon_thumbup Icon_crazy Icon_wtf

That was really serious and worried me until I got the the second sentence, Icon_lol
That is one I am keeping John... At lease it saves you waiting for the mailman. Icon_wink

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Today I finished up a Zenith 705...

I have to start veneering and repairing more cabinets tomorrow..

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Finally a nice day except for the Darn wind.....  Icon_lolno

I took out all the cabinets and toned them. Then I added decals and cleared.
It is amazing how fast it goes when there are not veneer issues...

I will be able to finish them and buff out the finish in a week or so.. 

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
looking good kirk

I got to the A52CK today.
 IT was a true mess when I got it. Veneer lifter everywhere and it started falling off when I stripped it.
I will have to make 2 new dial covers unless the ones from the PT-69 may work...
Otherwise i'll make a mold since I have both versions of the radio.

Finish will get rubbed out in a few days.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Great job.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I need honest opinions.... 

I just toned and cleared the A52CK... I am feeling like the trim is too dark...
It was dark as far as I can tell from original photos but please help me out here...

Is it wrong? Does it look bad? It is not black, it is ex dk walnut and you can see grains through it a little..

Thoughts?

Me

As of 1/01/2021

kirk
looks great to me from pic Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(10-19-2016, 11:20 AM)OldRestorer Wrote:  I need honest opinions.... 

I just toned and cleared the A52CK... I am feeling like the trim is too dark...
It was dark as far as I can tell from original photos but please help me out here...

Is it wrong? Does it look bad? It is not black, it is ex dk walnut and you can see grains through it a little..

Thoughts?

Me

Kirk, It looks good.

Knowing when to stop with the toner is a real challenge. Most people over-do it. The top and bottom trim are often too dark. Most radios of this period had a dark brown trim color that allowed a hint of the wood to show through AND was often a bit uneven. I think that most mistakes are made in an attempt to cover the trim completely and evenly resulting in a stark - and dark - trim color. There are exceptions, say Zeniths of the time. Their bases were very dark AND dark blue at that!

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/