Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-350 garbled sound

After a recap / resistor replacement, I'm faced with garbled sound on this set. It seems related to the antenna somehow. When I touch the antenna, which should make the signal stronger, it makes the sound louder but even more garbled. I did the obvious....replace tubes with known good one's one by one and no change. I even tried reversing the antenna wires where they attach to the chassis again with no change. Anyone have an idea of what could be the culprit?

Here's the sch:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Greg, Did it play before the recapping? I'm sure you did the other obvious of checking connections and solder joints. Do you have enough tubes of known goodness to replace them all? You could have more than 1 bad tube. An alignment may also be a culprit. Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Thanks Joe. I actually tried two different tubes known good tubes in each socket. I did perform an alignment to no avail. Will try some more poking around to see if something may be loose other than what I replaced.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Years ago I was tearing my hair out on a Zenith console that was distorting and the speaker looked perfect.  Just for grins I grabbed another speaker out of a parts set I had and it sounded wonderful.  Since then I found an old speaker substitution box at a radio show, and while I don't use it very often, it was well worth the $10 or $20 I paid for it.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Jon

I did even simpler thing: any perm magnet speaker temporarily soldered to the xfmr secondary.
Of course if there is a plug and another speaker with the same plug....nothing beats that.

Checking the speaker is a good idea.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.