Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Big, Bad*s*, and ugly 660L

That was one of my favorites of the Stooges. Icon_lol
Sometimes I wish I were an octopus when working on a radio chassis.

Got back to work on in and after a lot of grinding, making up many new words, and a little rewiring the new sockets are in.  Arran was correct it is a bit of a pain to do with a lot of grey dust leftover. Got it done the other night but was too tired to power it up to be sure all is ok.
I hope I don't have the same issue with the two 116 I have! I saw a post on the barking dog where someone was looking  for a pair of six pin Philco sockets and an output transformer for a 116B. Glad it's not me, opt get expensive fast! When the socket shorts it shorts the hv though the primary of the opt to the heater pin or to the chassis.
So hopefully I'm down to three more problems to solve. The oscillator coil, shadowmeter coil and still has some excess hum in the audio. Piece of cake!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha. All this so I could see the dial light up!! Oh I got a box of #55 bulbs which is the proper for these large dial Philcos. They draw about 3 times what a #47 bulb does and is brighter.

Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah, it's the mechanical part I hate when fixing electronics....feel for ya!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The tricky part is going to be mounting the replacement coil. Not much room by the bandswitch or the original coil. It may end up on a bracket behind the volume control. For now I've been using clip leads for trying it out but that a little problematic because of lead length. Darn leads are like a foot long!!!

Terry

I think things are turning the corner. I've found a chassis just have to work out shipping. What better than have one 660??? If this one is in good shape I may just service it and put the side brackets on it.
I started to check my osc coil progress back tracking in with a good ss digital receiver so I went down and picked up one of my Kenwood TS-440 (got two of them a year or so ago) It's a mid 80's ham transceiver to find it has developed some bad habits (displays just show dots) which make it unusable. It's known issue and it only takes 3 Ben Franklins to fix it.
I should have been a cake decorator then I could eat my mistakes!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello!

I haven't been in here in a while.
You still babbling about that 660 Icon_lol
You could have been a radio cake repairman...
Yummy! radio cake!

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

KIRK
you may want to save that for next Wednesday  Icon_shh

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Sammy having a birthday AGAIN!!!!!!?????

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

not me but some one we know Icon_think

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Time for an update. Back in Aug I got a replacement osc transformer from Gary @ Playthings but just now got around to installing it. It's got 12 wires going all over the place. Used some numbered stickers to mark all the leads and dug in. After abt an hour it was all wired up and ready to go.

So powered it up   a   n   d   it was better but not working properly. Instead of being 400kc off it was only 150kc off. The  osc high end adjustment (#29) does nothing and the low end (#16) does a little. I wired up my new toy (digital counter) to the LO output. The cathode of the 76 osc tube provides a good low impedance output though a cap to drive the counter. Now I can see what is going on. At the dial setting of 600kc the LO needs to be at 1060kc (600+460) it was abt 1400kc. That prompted me to add some fixed micas across the low set padder (#16) and got the frequency lower but not enough abt 1200kc w/1100mmfd. And still 29 does nothing. Hmmmmmmm.

While I was cogitating on these problems I though I check my little free Griefkit SG-7 against the counter. At 1600kc it's good (1598kc) but at the low end of the mw band it sucks like 50kc sucks. I think this inaccuracy effected my reasoning as to problem with this osc circuit. I guess I'm gullible!

Speaking of gullible I found why #29 doesn't do anything, in the rider's it not where it sez it is!!!!!!!! It's actually where the POL band adjmt !!!!!! That non working #29 is pretty much what started this whole adventure down oscillator road! D**&&^++#@@@@$=%T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it stands now BC osc is working well and tracking within a few kc. However it wants to die below abt 650kc (I'm thinking the tuning cap has a bent plate or something) Is playing well above 650kc and sensitivity is good too.
Other issues are open shadow meter and spkr vc rubbing. Thought it had a bad volume control as at low volume it had a fair amount of hum in the audio. Ordered a a couple of replacements but now that it's passing good rf and if signals you don't hear the hum at all.

Kinda fun doing the osc alignment using a counter rather than a generator. You can get it right on the money pretty easily. Will probably take a look at the SW bands and do the alignment on them too again.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Got the low end of the BC working. The counter picking up the 2nd harmonic, readjusted the padder and and all is well w/ good tracking throughout the BCB.
SW is a little different story set the ends on the money and the middle off a bit. 5.4-18mc band wwv shows up at about 10.2mc. Not worth the trouble to mess with. Police band is about the same off a hash mark or two in the middle.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So if any of you were wondering I really am a DA!

I was thinking that the avc action could be a little better so I went to the  Rider's socket voltage layout to see if it has the voltage for the 75 tube diode (avc voltage). It didn't so I took a quick look at the service notes. Most of the time it's just resistor p# was changed to p# bah bah bah. Didn't have thing about the avc circuit but it did mention that the BC and POL oscillator trimmers are reversed on fig 2! Ahhhhhhhh! it was there all the time!!! I my defense some previous service man scratched into the top of the can 1500 above the wrong trimmer, I guess he could read either.

After hooking up a long ant to it I'm getting about -11v on the avc diode on a strong station. Seem pretty reasonable. Rewire the spkr cable (was cracked up pretty badly) and added some solder to the rivet that attaches the ant fastenstock clip, it was intermittent.

Yet to complete find replacement shadow meter and install it, tighten volume control, sort spkr ( loosened the surround and it sound much better) It has an old repair which is about 1" around but is very hard and has cause the cone to buckle a bit. May just cut it out and plug the hole with a coffee filter to relive the buckle. Needs a few rubber washer to mount the sound board and that should put the electronics to bed on this beast.

Valuable lesson learned!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

What shadowmeter is it, old type?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yeah it's a 45-2086 around 1935-36.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

terry
here you go  little high.   but its what you need Icon_twisted

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILCO-RADIO-RAD...SwNRdX8EMZ

sam

mafiamen2