Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 41-250 Band Lamp

While I'm waiting for the part for my 610 to come in, I pulled out a 41-250 that I had in the garage.There is a lamp behind the glass dial that I think moves with the band switch but the dial cord to that lamp is hanging loose. I have not been able to find any info on how this dial cord is run in my web search. I would appreciate info on how this cord is strung from someonewho has this radio. Another item in question on this radio is that on the 2 stage tuning cap, there is a trimmer on top of one section and there is a wire that is about 3 inches coming off of this trimmer into thin air. Where should this wire go to? This radio has had some rework done to it (84 replaced with 7Z4, volume control changed to one with on/off switch, and some other small items) so I don't know if something is missing. Thanks.

Harv

The wire just wraps around the terminal of the other section of the tuning cap. There is no connection other than the small capacitance . It is there mostly for neutralization on the short wave bands. There is a much more technical reason but I will leave that to the 'experts'.

As to the lamp cord I believe if you look closely the routing will be fairly evident. It slides on a guide and that is the reason for the wear and breakage. There are two versions of that radio. One, like yours, has a mechanical linkage with the cord to move the lamp. The other has an extra wafer on the band switch and a light for each band.

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Thanks Terry. I guess I got the "booby" prize version of this radio since it looks like that dial cord will break frequently. Will try to figure something out to reduce the friction around the two pins over which the cord rides. A gimmick cap used for neutralization usually goes between the input and output of an amplifier stage, so the placement of this one is strange since it goes between the antenna and oscillator sections of the tunning cap. I'll just replace it, since the insulation is cracked, and figure Philco knew what they were doing.

Harv

I posted this description of how the dial cord is routed for the bandswitch lamp on another thread. Sorry it is so wordy, but I hope it helps.

Quote:I just took the chassis out of a 41-255. It has what I think is the same arrangement of the pivoting lamp assembly.

It wouldn't photograph well because the spaces are so tight, so I can only describe it in words. This is what it looks like to me, without disassembling everything to look.

There is a pulley on the band switch shaft in the front of the chassis. There is a wire cord guide riveted to the chassis to the right of the tuning knob shaft. The cord goes around the pulley and through the hooks on the cord guide. The cord coming off the upper side of the pulley goes through the upper hook and so on.

The cord coming through the lower hook goes up and around the inner of the two races on the pulley at the top right behind the dial glass. (The dial pointer cord goes around the outer of the two.) The cord then goes down through a hook bent into the sheet metal on the right side of the lamp assembly and then ties onto the tensioning spring just below the hook.

The cord coming through the upper hook goes up and ties directly to the lower side of the tensioning spring. On mine, the bottom of the spring is about 1.75 inch above the wire hook and the top of the spring is just below the sheet metal hook on the side of the lamp assembly.

My guess is the you can do this by taking out the near XXL tube and rotating the lamp assembly backward to expose the sheet metal hook on the side. Tie the cord to the spring and pull it tight through the sheet metal hook just above the spring, up around the pulley at the top of the dial, down to the lower wire hook, left around the bottom of the band switch pulley, right to the upper wire hook and finally up to the bottom of the spring. Pull it tight, stretch the spring a little bit, tie it, and you're done.

I know this is long and hard to follow, but I hope it helps. Write questions if you need to.

Oddly, my 41-280 doesn't have this pivoting assembly but has 3 lamps that are switched by the band switch to illuminate the band identification, plus one more to light the push button station IDs. My 41-250 and 41-255 both have the pivoting lamp assembly.

The schematics for all three models show the 4 switched bulbs.

John Honeycutt

Thanks for your description John. I sort of figured it out, but apparently put the tension spring on the wrong side of the dial cord (lower U). I'll change it to the way you described and see if it works any better.

Harv