Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 660

good afternoon everybody. i have come closer to my goal of collecting the entire 1936 philco line up today with a purchase of a 660 in near virginal condition and still working,even with the original filters which i will remedy shortly.
it plays well on all bands so no electrical issues are holding me up,i will replace critical caps that will cause damage in case of failure and of course any bad resistors but i will attempt to leave it as original as possible.
BUT! i have a mechanical issue. the dialscale isn't keeping up with the tuning cap,the mounting flange for the scale has some slop in it so it doesn't move evenly with the tuner. the vernier has been cleaned and lubed. how do i get the slop out so the scale tracks correctly with the tuner?
this is the same dialdrive as the 116x which i have that has the same problem.
thanks,phil

Seen the Service Tips Page on my site??

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip14.htm

Chuck

hi chuck and thanks for the response.
the venier/speed controls are working fine,the slack is in the plate/hub that the dialscale mounts to so just the scale is sloppy,not the tuner's drive. will this fix that?
phil

does anyone know how to remove the mounting hub for the scale????
phil

If its like my 630 there is a split washer type thingie on the front of the hub. It twists 90 degrees for removal. You can use needlenose pliers as a tool.

(Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.)

hi exray,i have that off,i need to remove the hub behind it,my scale is slipping-not the tuner.
phil

is this question beyond everyone or is it no one is here?
phil

Have you checked the setscrew on the semi-circular ring hub that drives the tuning mechanism to make sure it is tight?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

hi ron,yeah it's fine.
the tuner drive has absolutely no play-nada-it's just the hub for the dialscale that slips.
phil

That setscrew on the semi-circular ring hub also holds the dial scale hub in place. It can wear out and allow the dial scale to slip. I had that happen to a 116 once (same dial drive mechanism). Never could get it fixed. But don't let that dissuade you - there must be a way...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

philco phan, any possability you could post a few pictures, different aspects, so some of us not formiliar with set could try to help? PL

pics are in this arf thread,thanks,phil

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... p?t=106409</a><!-- m -->

SUCCESS!!
i loosened the set screws and gently tapped the entire mechanism further onto the shaft-maybe 1/16 inch and retorqued the screws and no more slop!!! it moves perfectly!!
thanks to all that helped,phil