Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco tropic model 42-760

I am restoring this model 42-760 radio and I have all the regular caps done and the 40 mfd one but the the other electrolytic canister is not marked but it is grey in color and has one pin with a green wire going to the speaker and another pin with a red wire going to the 40 mfd cap and a blk and red wire going to what looks like another power transformer and also a pin with a green wire which I assume is the ground. Could someone help with the values and which one goes on each pin thanks I have looked at the schematic but could not figure it out 

welcome picker
I don`t have a tropic
but looks like their are only two  #72  is a  40 and #74 is a 15
best to try and post schematic this way every one can help
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/549/M0013549.htm

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(11-05-2016, 05:24 PM)sam Wrote:  welcome picker
I don`t have a tropic
but looks like their are only two  #72  is a  40 and #74 is a 15
best to try and post schematic this way every one can help

sam
I thought that too but it has wires attached to two different pins on its base and I do not know how to post schematic but it can be found on nostalgia air

I thought that too but it has two pins with wires attached to it and thanks for the schematic link

Hi Picker and welcome,
Your power supply has what is called negative leg filtering. This makes the wiring of your filter a little different than most as most filter caps in a can have the negatives connected together, but not your set. The pluses are on your set.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

picker
I see comes off trans blue wire goes to both cans. the 72 goes to the tubes
other side go to yellow and green from trans. 72 should be tied on were the 33000 ohm resister is and that goes to ground 
I don`t see red- black wire on sheet

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

about time terry Icon_e_confused
picker terry is the best of best  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

sam 

mafiamen2

Hi Picker
Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

thanks terry but I am very new at radio repair and learning as I go so this still does not make sense to me but has I understand can I disconnect all these wires from the cap and join them together and connect to positive end of cap and connect negative end to chassis ground thanks and sorry for my lack of knowledge

Another thing to watch out for on this set is the rubber coated wires. Some will tend to crumble and need to be replaced or covered. See this LINK

Go slow, take lots of pictures as you go along to use as references as you put things back together. It might be helpful to post pictures here from time to time as you ask questions. You can find instructions on how to post pics at this LINK.

thanks for the advice and yes i have learned to take pictures is a good idea and back to my problem is my assumption correct or not thanks

(11-05-2016, 07:15 PM)the picker Wrote:  thanks for the advice and yes i have learned to take pictures is a good idea and  back to my problem is my assumption correct or not thanks

I edited my post as I was have a senior moment, this maybe a bit easier to understand. OBTW I don't know if Canada is a adequate address, methinks it need the name of your town too. We're not trying to pry but it helps to have little better geographically idea generally where you are.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

so you are saying the positive of the 40uf and the positive of the 15 uf connect and they go on to tube 80 and negative of the 40uf goes to chassis ground and those other wires from the 15 uf cap go to its negative end and also could I use a 16 uf and a 47 uf thanks

(11-05-2016, 07:43 PM)the picker Wrote:  so you are saying the positive of the 40uf and the positive of the 15 uf connect and they go on to tube 80 and negative of the 40uf goes to chassis ground and those other wires from the 15 uf cap go to its negative end and also could I use a 16 uf and a 47 uf thanks

Yup.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

hi I understand the drawing but what I do not under stand is where the green wire that goes to the speaker and another red wire that goes to a terminal lug and on to the if transformers goes they were both attached to the 15 uf cap