Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 41-250 Capacitor

I started working on this radio again, and came across a large square object next to the bandswitch. From looking at the info I downloaded, it is probably a dual 330 pf mica capacitor and I want to replace it as part of the restoration. Any reason I can not use to separate caps to replace this one? Thanks.

Harv

Hi Harv

There is no reason at all why you can't use two separate caps...in fact you will have to, since I am not aware of any dual 370 pF caps being made these days.

One word of caution: Use new SILVER MICA capacitors to replace this dual cap. General purpose ceramic caps will drift as the radio warms up...which means that if you intend to use your radio's pushbuttons, they will not stay "in tune." Mica caps will remain stable, keeping the preset stations (those you set up your pushbuttons to use) from drifting.

Of course, NP0 ceramics will not drift, either, but it is often easier to find this value in silver mica.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I just wasn't sure if Philco had some gimmick in using this dual cap. I have a bunch of SM caps and will use two of those.

Harv