Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6A3 replacements

I finally got my Philco 116X working, but with a borrowed pair of 6A3 output tubes. Reception and audio quality are outstanding.

Short of buying a working pair of 6A3s at current prices (thanks, audiofools) what might be recommended as replacements? 6B4G is electrically the same tube, octal base, same high prices. 

Changing the tube sockets / types is heresy to many on the forum, but this set is no beauty queen. I'd like to enjoy the set as work bench company. All electronics would be completed neatly and to a high standard, as has the rest of the chassis.

I considered using a single 6AS7 with its two sections in push-pull, or a pair of triode connected 807s with operating voltages accordingly changed. Those types are already on hand, in storage. I believe those choices could approximate present current draw from the power transformer, audio output transformer impedances, and available audio power output.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Keep warm, this weekend.

-O.B.

I don't know what the audiophool prices are but you could get a pair of these used. I've bought from him before and had no problems.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...0foD#gid=1

Bob Dobush got me my pair of 6B4 for a very reasonable price.
I don't see any reason to screw up a perfectly good radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

+3 for Bob Dobush... Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have used Bob  Icon_thumbup No problems. One tube was noisy, he was quick to make it right. Very fast communication. And reasonable.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY