Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial Pointer for 40-190 & Rewire/ cap success

Hello All
Just want to say thanks again for the help with my first rewire/cap project. The radio plays great. The only adjustment was to one of the preset station buttons. That was because it was a local station that is no longer on the air. I do need to restring the dial pointer but the problem is everything is missing including the pointer. I was wondering if anyone has made one of these, or if there is some kind of a print I could follow?
Thanks Bob

Hello
I was able to make a dial pointer. I used a 1/2" copper plated tube strap. I flatten it out, then cut and formed it to ride along the dial plate housing. It works good, I know this isn't like the real thing but it can't be seen. Now the question is what color should the pointer be? Also with the radio off the dial pointer moves great at any speed. With the radio playing it will sometimes slip when trying to move real slow (is this because the tuning caps become magnetize?). Any suggestions?
Thanks Bob

Bob--glad to hear your 40-190 project has gone well. I'm still trying to get as far as having a decent workshop to work in so I can start in on my new hobby of antique radio restoration. I spotted this thread because my first project will be a 40-190 as well. Beautiful radios!

I haven't disassembled mine to find out for sure, at least not lately, but the pointer appears to be an unfinished piece of round metal, in kind of a charcoal grey. A closer inspection of mine shows a tiny bit of rust.

I double-checked on the near-identical 40-180 chassis in my garage and that also appears to be the case, unfinished grey steel. Ron or BDM (I think he has of these art deco skyscrapers) may be able to confirm this at a later date.

DeckApe
Thanks for the input. right now I have a red pointer. I used a piece of soild 20 ga. wire. I will probably change it, because I want to modify the slider to make it better. I think the problem of the tuner not moving all the time is because the cord is slipping. I need to get some rosin for the string as suggested in one of the Tech instructions. I just work in my basement, but I do have tools and solder equipment. The only test equipment I have is a VOM. You need to get going on your radio, its neat when you can get them to play. Now I am working on the cabinet, which is in good shape. I am going to use "Restor A Finish" and then so kind of oil and bees wax. A guy at a local antique mall that sells RAF say that works good. Let us know how you restore goes.
Bob
I was just rereading your reply you said the pointers are round, so I will edit out the round or flat question.