Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stall's 16b cathedral

"Yaaaaaay" i FINALLY was able to get a moment to myself and put in a cap order to justrads. Managed to find exact uf replacements.. So has anyone had luck with blow dryers or do i need to purchase a heat gun to remove the old innards from the bakelite caps?

Thanks Icon_smile

Steve

Are you talking of the large metal can or small backelite blocks?
Small blocks are easy and have been described many times here and elsewhere, plus Steve made a toolkit.
The large can is a bit of a pain. Chisel, scredriver, hammer, some use hotplates or ovens.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Harbor Freight has a heat gun for $14.99 that will do the job quite well. While you're at it, better get a set of these   http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=19091    

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks guys:

Morzh, yep doing BOTH.. Ive read the tutorial here concerning the bakelite overhaul procedure.  I see they added some cool tools since i last read that thread. Icon_biggrin

Im hoping  im lucky enough the cardboard sleeve in the big can will give up the goods easily, if not, ill keep the chisel handy Icon_thumbup

Steve: Looks like im going to HF, I just wanted to debunk the hair dryer method before i committed to one.. Icon_smile

Steve

Somehow with 16 I was luckier than with 20, but in either case it was messy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Quick question Do i use the X or the Y safety line caps in this radio? i ordered 2 of both types and i need to contact my supplier and modify the order so i figured ide drop one pair and add a pair of .5 caps i forgot to add...

Thanks

Steve

X caps are used across the power line, Y caps are used for line to ground applications. See JustRadios ABC's of safety caps information.

What Bob said.

To add, most safety caps today are XY rated. Datasheet will tell you.

They have the X1/Y2 discs in .001--.0022--.0047--.01 sizes... Which value shall i order??

Steve

.01uf would be great.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Disposable latex or nitrile gloves are your friend! I use them a lot when cleaning the chassis, stuffing bakelite blocks, etc. They don't work when stripping cabinets...you need something more robust but they are great for the generally dirty tasks.

The old caps are starting to pile up nicely, i have 3 left to do which includes the tone control and the BIG condenser bank. Which brings up a few questions as i explore this radio.

1. Why did they bother to put rubber insulators on the tuning gang mounts if they were going to solder ground leads to the chassis?

2. Anyone have any procedure for removing the condenser bank? as in removing attached parts prior to removal. Or did you remove the bank with external parts still attached to it?

Thanks..

#1, To help eliminate microphonics.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well.....THAT was fun... Didnt have to remove the entire unit to replace the guts.. Pretty lucky with the cardboard liner, just slid a knife around the edges and it popped out..
All caps have been replaced... DIG THAT PILE!!  im getting an itch to light it up and check my progress.. Icon_biggrin
The radio has lost some weight as well   Icon_thumbup

Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

And so.......I went for it.... Exactly one year to the date that i got the speaker back from Sound Remedy..  

I hooked it up..... Gave it the juice.... Turned the switch on and.... QUIET.......

Moved the band selector and heard it make noise with every click....

Touched the antenna terminal.... And..... TALK RADIO!!!   Icon_e_surprised

So i added a length of wire and it  got louder...   AM band is working right out of the gate, And i do have static noise on the other bands as well..

Still have to get the tuner mounts (theyre present, but sloppy)   And the slow tune is iffy because the drive tires need replacement, but im encouraged by these first signs of life..

Ah, the rush of  hearing an 80 year olds first words   Icon_thumbup

Steve