Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stall's 16b cathedral

Nope, that only goes down to 140 MHz which is way too high in frequency for AM/SW radio work. You need something that will tune as low as 260 kHz for your IF plus the standard AM band and SW frequencies, up to around 30 MHz.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

How about this:

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-expr...r--390-600

$164.80 but it is brand new and you would not have to worry about rebuilding, recalibration, etc., which you would have to deal with if you bought an old, used generator.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I made the mistake of buying one like that. It didn't work very well right from the outset, and crapped out within a year. I now use an old Heathkit, which works VERY well and reliably. All I did to it was replace the main filter condenser. I use a digital readout Grundig S350DLto cross check the frequency I am putting out. Very accurate. No more problems.

Deleted.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That wasnt me who replied to you Ron.. Icon_smile

Its true ive never owned or used an RF signal generator. I did locate one nearby this weekend, will be here later this week.. I am still seeking a budget frequency counter so i can "keep it in the zone" as i tune.... Icon_thumbup

Steve

(02-08-2019, 09:48 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  How about this:

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-expr...r--390-600

$164.80 but it is brand new and you would not have to worry about rebuilding, recalibration, etc., which you would have to deal with if you bought an old, used generator.

so,,, 
why is that signal gen the same look as "FORDHAM"??

I think its me but i can not seem to manage to get a stable frequency out of it once i get around 35mgHz and higher.

i would really like to know if mine is broke or if its me that is using it wrong,,, im thinking for the higher freq, i need external modulation.
i have the book on it as well,,
The way i know the signal is unstable is by using my frequency counter.

this unit also has the same specs as mine.

just asking,, not hijacking the thread or anything.........

scott

(02-10-2019, 02:18 AM)Stall-U-Rated Wrote:  That wasnt me who replied to you Ron..

Sorry, that's what I get for posting right after chemo...it really does affect one's thinking Icon_crazy

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hehe, No sweat Ron Icon_biggrin

So i went to ebay and got my hands on a GW model GRG-450B signal generator.  Hooked it up and im getting tone..  

Still a few things to get before i undertake the alignment procedure, however, i have a few questions:

1..  Is there an alignment mark on the radio dial scale to make sure its synced with its tuner?

2..  Will this generator require a .1 cap when attaching it to the grid cap of the tube?

3.. Any way to tell if the two "DO NOT ADJUST" condensers on the tuner have been or havent been adjusted?

4.. Will those tiny $10 signal counters they sell on ebay work with my generator or will they lack the range?

Thank you for any info you can give me concerning my radio or generator.. Icon_smile

Steve

(01-25-2019, 11:52 PM)Stall-U-Rated Wrote:  Thanks for the link Radioroslyn, as soon as they answer the question i posted them about item t03, ill place the order (quiet so far)...

Can you post the part no. that you ordered? Need a set (6?) of these myself.

Just to confirm, these are for mounting the big tuning condenser, correct?

Thanks,

Matthew W. Woodruff

Click on the link that Radioroslyn sent me prior to the message you quoted this from, scroll down the page and its listed as "tuner support" (Item t03) is listed beneath a picture of 2 mounts next to a penny. Although there are 2 pictured, they are sold singular. These are what my 16b required for the big tuning condenser and i had to order 6 of them (3 top and 3 bottom)...

Hope this helps.. Icon_smile

Steve

My dial doesnt appear to match the frequencies i am receiving, Will the alignment procedure cure this, or do i have to make any special adjustments before i begin?

Anyone have answers to post 83 before i proceed?

Thanks..

Steve

Yes - use a cap to protect the signal generator. Better still add Zener diode protection, as recommended to me:

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Oh dear... I typed a long post reply to this thread and only one line was uploaded!

Once again, here are my answers Icon_smile

I set the dial so that the line at (beyond) the low end of the scale was aligned with the pointer when the tuning capacitor was fully meshed.

For the dial setting work, I didn't connect the generator directly - a wire near the antenna terminal is often good enough to provide a signal that can be used. This is especially true of the signal generator can be modulated.

I never touched the "do not adjust" caps, so cannot comment on their effect.

One purpose of the alignment is indeed to ensure that the dial reads correctly, and stations appear where they should My (5 band set) dial is good except on the 4th and 5th high shortwave bands. Setting these is a compromise, and for some reason, I could not get both dial readings perfect, although reception is good.

Yes, the ebay frequency counters are great for adding digital readout to a signal generator.

Thanks Ed for your detailed response Icon_thumbup 

You helped confirm my dial is set to match the tuning gang from end-end and my frequencies are a tad off....

Good to know those teeny counters on ebay from China will work with my RF generator.

Ive been reading the tuning procedure for my radio and been watching youtube offerings on the subject, so im feeling a bit more confident on doing my FIRST ALIGNMENT... I mostly work on tvs and just began doing the odd radio or so to keep it interesting....

My concern was what to do when the instructions say to set the radio dial to a SPECIFIC  point to hear the tone and if i would be able to if my tuner was off a bit.

Since my 5 band radio is functioning and im getting SW and regular stations, in gonna assume the 2 DO NOT TOUCH screws on the tuning gang are untouched...   I was curious if anybody ever encountered a tampered one and if there was a remedy?

Well, gotta order some insulated tools and get a counter and ill be ready to dig in.... Icon_biggrin

Thanks again

Steve

Well, one thing you can do for the dial setting, is set the generator to the proper frequency called in the instructions, then tune the radio until you hear it. Of course the dial will most likely not be at the proper point - but this will tell you how much error there is. Then you can adjust the appropriate oscillator trimmer, retune the radio, rinse-repeat until you've got the dial reading in the right place.

Otherwise, if the radio is picking up the generator well enough, and the dial is only a little off, usually you can find it by adjusting the trimmer.

On Short-wave bands, it is sometimes possible to tune the generator in two places on the dial. One is correct, the other is the "image", where the set is tuned 2x the intermediate frequency from the proper dial reading for the signal. A bit of care is required that the proper signal is used, but the image signal should be weaker than the wanted signal.

I'll have another look at the schematic, to see what the "Do not touch" trimmers do, and how much trouble one might cause if they were adjusted by accident.

Cheers

Ed