Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 18 volume pot cleaning??

Hello all, I have my volume/on-off switch apart; part # 33-5024. I had to clean the on/off switch which wasn't working. It is now, with some contact cleaner. What would be the best to use on the carbon volume portion of the switch? Contact cleaner, alcohol, acetone? I heard some chemicals ruin the carbon resistor wafer. Please let me know, thanks!!

No acetone.

Alcohol works fine where you could see the contact and clean it with a swab; else use a clener. Deoxit D series is good.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I use WD-40. It's pretty mild and leaves a coating over the carbon. With that being said some pots are just worn out cleaning isn't going to restore it's operation.
I've been working on a 39-80 that the control was very noisy and the switch contacts measured open. Took it apart used contact cleaner on the switch and a little WD-40 on the pot. Tested it on the ohm meter and looked good. Installed it and worked great for a couple of days then I couldn't turn the volume down all the way. Checked it over and the ground side of the pot to wiper was about  50K  (should have been about 100 ohms). Basically it's open at the ground side. Have been waiting on Old Radio Parts to get a replacement.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

De-ox-it FADER LUBE . It is in the green labeled can NOT the contact cleaner.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Thanks guys!!

sorry,

misread the part where the switch HAS been cleaned and the carbon part is being cleaned.

Yes, what Russ said. Deoxit Green, fader lube.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.