Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need guidance in selecting a Lowboy

Hey guys,
I really like the looks of the cabinet used for the 76, 85/86, and 95/96 chassis's, and would like to obtain one.

Can anyone advise about the chassis's -7, 8, & 9 tube-  AFA ease or difficulty of restoring electronically, obtaining specific parts, and if any are either particularly superior or inferior AFA performance?

Any advice appreciated!

Attached Files Image(s)

Stay away from the neutrodynes of the family - those built around 26 triodes.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The best of bunch you listed are the 95 and 96. Both has avc which the other don't. I would stay away from the set with p/p 71A's in the output, they are ok but not near as robust as the 45's. The older sets w/the 26 rf stages are ok too. Currently have a 95, 87 (neutrodyne) and a 77 (tetrode rf amps). Typical issues open primaries on the rf coils (easy fix), field coil, output transformer, interstage transformers, broken dial cords (pita), along w/ the regular caps and resistors.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Willeezwarez has a 76 for sale;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-76-Conso...1438.l2649

It apparently uses 24's in the RF stages, and a 27 and two 45's for the audio. Interestingly, a "Beverly" that I inherited from grampaw and restored, uses the same exact tube lineup, and works quite well.

So, what would be a fair bid for this set?

It was a very common tube line up in the late 20's and early 30's.
Personally I don't really like the refinish job that was done to it. Looks like the was stained rather than toned and is too dark. Over here on the right coast have seen them go for 65-$125. It's somewhat of a common set. As you know consoles arn't in high demand these days.

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I picked up a 95 (Early Version). It has screen grid plus, and AVC. Got it for $10. Needs the front grill replaced, the tuning cables fixed and chassis serviced (It's, unbelievably, never been serviced!)

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4324/3503...a8d6_b.jpg]

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4234/3503...618c_b.jpg]

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

Fifties

I think Terry (Radioroslyn) has covered this quite well.

This cabinet was originally used for models 65 (there is no 85), 87, 76 and 95 as well as model 40 (DC only). The 96 is a 1930 model and was not offered in this cabinet originally.

Of those, the 95 will give you the best bang for the buck - 9 tubes and AVC. The 76 is decent. The 87 works surprisingly well considering what it is - a lowly Neutrodyne with triode RF amplifiers. I have no experience with the 65 even though I've had a metal table model 65 kicking around here for years; I have not yet tried to get it going again. With only two tetrode RF amplifiers, I wouldn't expect a lot of performance from this set.

All of these 1929 models (65, 87, 76, 95) use two 45 output tubes.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thx for the education, Terry and Ron!

I sent a message to Willy, asking him to verify the tube count, since my understanding is that the leading digit of the model number identifies the tube count, and he lists it as a 76, yet states it has 8 tubes. Or is that possible?

I notice that the lowest control on his appears to be a switch, where on others I've seen, it's knob. Can you advise exactly what that control is?

Also I'm confused (nothing new at my age); would you say that the 76 and 87 are equal in performance, or which is superior? I understand that the 95 would be the best, but which model is then the next best AFA performance?

Yep, an 87 has 8 tubes; a 76, 7 tubes.

Unfortunately Willie's photos are small so they cannot be super-sized, but after careful analysis I believe his radio is an 87. The RF amp tubes do not appear to have grid caps on top and if this is so, then they must be 26 tubes and not 24/24A. Thus, if it uses 26 tubes, it must be an 87.

As I recall, early production model 87 chassis did use a toggle switch for off-on instead of a knob; this was later changed to a rotary switch. This could possibly explain the toggle switch (another explanation would be an incorrect replacement for an original rotary switch). Oh, and that is an off-on switch, whether toggle or rotary.

Equal or superior in performance? Hard to say. Theoretically the 76 should be better with tetrode RF amplifiers. But as I mentioned in my previous post, the 87 is a surprisingly good performer when properly restored. Very sensitive.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

>since my understanding is that the leading digit of the model number identifies the tube count, and he lists it as a 76, yet states it has 8 tubes. Or is that possible?

Sorry I wasn't paying attention! That is an 87 chassis . Pretty much all the others have screen grid tubes (24A) which have grid caps. This one has 26's also the sets that use the 24A's have a large tube shield that's fitted to the chassis like the one that PhilcoPhan's set has. On the 87 the ant/gnd connector is near the spkr plug, on the 76 it's over by the power supply.
Yes under the tuning knob should have a small knob to rotate the off/on switch. This one has a ball switch to replace it. I'm thinking that the hole has been enlarged to make this changeover.

Happy hunting!
ps Ron's a faster typer than I!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Is there any way of determining from the pics if this is an early version 87 -with presumably a stock factory installed switch- or a later one, where it's incorrect?

[Image: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OBsAAOSwE...s-l500.jpg]

Also, what would the two circular cutouts in the lower shelf have been made for? Is something missing?

> Is there any way of determining from the pics if this is an early version 87 -with presumably a stock factory installed switch- or a later one, where it's incorrect?

Not without removing the chassis from the cabinet and then examining the chassis and switch to determine whether (or not) it looks old and original.

> Also, what would the two circular cutouts in the lower shelf have been made for? Is something missing?

All 1929 Philco lowboys had those holes, nothing to be concerned about. Why did they have them? Who knows. Well, some long-dead Philco designer knows...but dead men tell no tales.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's another one on eBay, but he wants to sell with a group of consoles.  I messaged him asking for a pic of the back, but haven't had a response yet.

Does the coloring on the cabinet look more authentic than the one Willy is offering? Frankly I like it better, but he wants local pickup, and lives halfway across the country from me.

[Image: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~5gAAOSwH...s-l500.jpg]

Fifties - Hi,

Here are some of those cabinets that I have done. I think that I got the colors close.

This is a 95 (yes, still in the bathroom)

Here is an 87

This one I sold.

Here is an 86 with original finish. Also sold

You can see that the solid legs/frame has highlights.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Those look nice, Russ!

EDIT; just got a reply back from Willy;

New message from: willeezwarez (2,508Red Star)
Hi Richard,
You make a good point....I missed it. It is an 8 tube set, more than likely swapped out at some point or a factory put together maybe. Either way, it's a 76 cabinet and an 8 tube chassis.
Too late to correct.
Thanks,
Will