Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring a Predicta Tandem

That's what I thought but it turns out that the Telstars don't actually have a screen cover. The bare glass of the CRT face is exposed with a green plastic wrap around the outside. Looks convincing at a distance but up close it becomes obvious. They used modern color CRTs with a bonded safety glass so it's not really necessary to have extra implosion protection.

The 17" Predicta covers are definitely made from something other than Tenite. Don't know what it's for sure, but it's far superior. No clouding, warping or odor what so ever.

I'm actually picking up a 17 inch Predicta tonight, and possibly a 21" table top next week, Ill let you know if they smell too. Also I work for an electrical company and we often have to get replacement lenses made for weather proof outdoor light fixtures. Usually all they need is a sample, sometimes we bring them 2 halves and they make us one solid one that's identical. I am going to see if maybe they can do my screen cover. Heres what My screen looked like before cleaning.... I have to put some after pics up tonight.

AAran what is your mixture of Trisodium phophate and water? Do you spray it on? Id like to try it. My set really smells. Right now its apart in my basement and the whole basement smells. Im starting to think I cant use this thing in my house. When I bought the TV and I  was driving home I had the tv laying on the floor in my truck and the heat was blowing on it, the whole way home I was passing refineries and dumps, and I thought that was the smell...

Attached Files Image(s)

The mix I would start with is maybe about a tablespoon of TSP to a gallon of hot water, just to make sure that it isn't so strong that it takes paint off, if that doesn't work then you can up to two tablespoons. I don't spray it on but you could put it in an old spray bottle to make it easier, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it off with more hot water, and let it air dry. Maybe you could do this in a bath tube or a laundry tub?
Regards
Arran

I have a 17" Predicta. It does not smell bad and the screen cover is clear. Weird that the 2 sizes would be made of different materials.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I took the 17" set apart the other night and it doesnt smell at all and other than a few scratches its crystal clear...

I finally gave in and recapped the main board and replaced a few resistors that seemed out of spec. Just curious is it worth buying a wire wrapping tool to put the wires back or should I solder them on?

I'm about to do the caps under the chassis next. There is one huge silver multi section cap under there and I want to restuff it or possibly just replace it with 3 caps. But how do I know which lead is going to which section of the cap. I don't want to wire it the wrong way when I replace the caps.

I am just finishing my Predicta and I did pull and re-stuff that large electrolytic. Take a picture in bright light and make a drawing as a backup and you will do just fine.

Gregb

Greggb what I'm asking is which terminal is which value on the existing cap. There is 4 values on the can but I don't know what wire belongs on each value. And I don't want to remove them before I know so I can make a diagram.

I will have a look and see, I will get back to you.

Gregb

That cap is marked on the bottom and the values are as follows. Hope this helps

half circle 140uf @350 volts
square 100uf @ 300 volts
triangle 20uf @ 300 volts
no mark 20uf @ 300 volts

Gregb

I would not bother with the wire wrapping tool, unless it's cheap and you just want something to try. I suspect that the ends may break off the ends before you get them wrapped around again, soldering them onto the posts is probably easier both to put them on and remove again should you need to, just make sure you sand them a bit first to get the oxidation off, 320 grit paper will do.
Regards
Arran

With buying the new house, planning the engagement party and all I havent had much time to work on the tv. I finally had a few minutes last night and I wanted to try and order the capacitors to re-stuff the c2 and c3 cans. But Im having a little trouble finding the capacitors, Im seeing that most of the new electrolytics have a tolerance of about 20% BUT Im having trouble finding exact values online. How far out of spec can I go before I cause a problem? Im dying to get this thing running, so I want to try and order it all tonight when I get home from work.

For the 140uf I think the next standard value would be 150uf, the 100 is a standard value and for the 20's use 22uf. Keep the voltage the same or higher.

Gregb