Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

Arran Wrote:Just out of curiosity were there any markings stamped into the chassis that could tell you whether the set was originally a 511, a 512, etc? I know that they used a stamped "bathtub" style chassis like the model 95 and 96s used, if I remember correctly my model 96 chassis had some numbers stamped or engraved onto it somewhere on the top deck.
Icon_arrow YES! On the top side of the chassis above the line cord entrance you will find the Serial number of the set. As I recall from my research for Chapter One of the book, all the hand-painted sets from year 1928 have a 6-digit serial number stamped there that matches the serial number on the shield.

I took the time to verify this by examining my 12 sets. In several cases I couldn't see it unless I cleaned the chassis with a mini wire brush. My question is can you cross reference the serial number in order to determine the model number? Nothing in the documents from my research seems to say "yes". I bet Ron would know. Does anyone know?

Thanks, Michael P.

"Ice cream has no bones"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets - by Philco1928 - 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM