Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what philco model 16......

has the speaker socket on the top of the chassis?
thanks,phil

None of them. Those that have a speaker socket, have them on the back of the chassis. Those that do not, have a piece of fiber over the large hole for a speaker socket, with a small hole in it for the wires to go through.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

thanks ron.
phil

I think I bought that model 16? chassis for parts. Did I get screwed? What model is it?
Seller didn't seem to have any doubts as to model number. I thought he might have mistaken the speaker connection on the top for a missing tube??
Any thoughts....?
It wouldn't be the first time I stepped in it....
Mark

Was this something that was on eBay? Would one of you mind posting a link to the item, please?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
The chassis was on eBay as item number 150340119518
You can find it by searching the item number under advanced search (completed items).
Can you identify the chassis?
Thanks Icon_rolleyes

For the convenience of everyone here, that would be this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?Vie...0340119518

I see the question about the speaker and the seller's (incorrect) answer. That 4-pin socket behind the tuning condenser is for the rectifier tube; 80 if it is a Code 121, 5Z3 if it is a Code 122 or 123.

It is impossible to tell from those photographs if it had a hardwired speaker (Code 121) or a speaker socket (Code 122 or 123).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, at least it is a model 16 chassis as advertised. I feel better now.
Thanks for the clarification. Icon_razz

I received the Philco 16 Chassis. Has a 4 prong plug on back of chassis for speaker.
No label on chassis so I don't know how to tell what rectifier tube it used. Any way I can tell which "code" version it is?

Also, what speakers could I use with this set. I'd like to try to get this large chassis playing in my workshop. It looks like it's all there although it will need a lot of work.

hi,i was also bidding/communicating with the seller on this chassis,he said the missing tube was the 5z3.
phil

In that case, probably a Code 122. A Code 123 chassis would have an upside down dial scale and extra brackets to hold the chassis with the dial facing UP in a chairside cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you all for your help. That gives me a good starting point. I should be able to find the speaker field coil resistance on a schematic and that will give me a starting point to look for a speaker.

The original speaker used with Code 122 and 123 sets was a U-2, with a field coil of 1450 ohms. But you can use an H series speaker with an 1125 ohm field.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN