Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to find eyelets and tool(s)?

I Just had another thought about this...

Hollow grommets & rivets are available in brass, the issue is setting them in place on a chassis. It just occurred to me that one could use a pop rivet tool, if a suitable substitute is used for the shear pin. This could be a nail etc of the appropriate length and diameter.

As I said, just a thought.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

After looking through this thread I discovered more options for my situation. Looking at the first photo of the painted chassis has given me a few ideas because my chassis is very filthy with very light surface rust. The underneath is fair and I wont worry too much about the finish? (well maybe?) Other than that 90% stuffing is completed and it is difficult to tell if they were at a glance except for the ones coated with soiled wax. Heat and wiping got them looking civilized while others were not coated and dry. The top pf the chassis had a thick film of crud looking like grey paint but under the tuning condenser told the real story after the nearly 1/4 inch layer of settled dirt was removed as you can see in the picture the very bright shiny area I suspect is Cadmium plating and the wet area above it is a product called CLR which is a mild acid used for removing Calcium, Lime, and Rust. I first used a Scotch Bright pad soaked with Spray Nine but this was quite useless compared to using the same pad with CLR. Eventually I realized using one of those scraper knives with the one sided razor blade did more faster! After reading the posts I looked at the eyelets and these are plain silver eyelets, whereas the options from the mentioned suppliers are copper, brass, antique brass, and gun metal silver. My question now is as you can see I'm using the same wafer sockets, is what length is proper with these sockets? The eyelets come in 1/4 and 5/16 inches long and perhaps the 1/4 inch is too short?? Also is there a standard diameter for these eyelets and drilled holes? The eyelets come in slightly different sizes and lengths. Are the holes for the sockets the same size as the unused holes intended for other models of radios? I guess I could drill and test but logic would dictate leave well enough alone until parts arrive! If it is any help I could insert a drill bit into the bores of the eyelets as a measurement device and compare to the replacements other forum members used before and after? Careful drilling can be done removing all the sockets with everything attached with the exception of the power supply transformer and even though the wire is in fair to good condition with everything removed it could be replaced with new. Some are better than mine and some are far worse with rust pits and pockets in the metal.

Attached Files Image(s)