Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not another value question?

I know, value is in the eyes of the beholder. And what some people think is overpriced, others may think as inexpensive. And people on this forum are not willing to pay as much for a radio as those not as well informed. And a person with alot of money is more willing to spend more.

I am going to list a restored 201X on eBay in a couple of months (haven't started the restoration, yet). I know there were ony 2500 made. I know the original price was $250. I have heard the term "holy grail".

I want to know what YOU think is a fair price. I also want to know what YOU consider top dollar for this radio.

Thoughts from all of you reading this might help in correct pricing of restored/non-restored radios for all of us that are not collectors, but just buy, restore (or refurbish, as some like to call it), and resell.

Thanks to all in advance.

Pat

Patric

That's going to be a tough one.

On one hand, this is the first Hi-Fi radio in the whole industry. And a beautiful one at that. And it is a gorgeous-looking set above all. An immediate predecessor of 680X.
And the time and work you put in it dictate a price in the low 4-figure region.

On the other had:
It won't beat a 690. Those in great condition (never saw them sold restored but saw them in the condition that I would not touch leaving the cabinets the wauy they were only restoring the chassis) go up to $2K.
This I doubt will reach that limit on any public platform. Plus the eBay is such that people often do not start bidding unless the initial bid is low. And then you are at the mercy of the human psychology and luck.

I would guestimate, and this is ONLY if you are willing to ship this radio (which will also be a bit of a deterrent - you could see how Willy does it), it could potentially, if the right crowd is bidding, go to $800.

However, marketed to the right people it could go for more. Good question is, how do you find the right people.

In any case, I doubt you will earn a good pay doing that: even a $1000 profit, spread over the hours you put in it, would result in below-poverty-line pay, akin to McDonalds patty-flippers kind.

Not to discourage the effort - most of us do it for fun, and then the money is there to recoup part of the expenditures so teh hobby doesn't get to be overly expensive.

Luck!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks. No, I do it as a hobby. I figure that if I'm lucky, I might make $1/hour. So it's not income I'm thinking about, as much as not just giving it away so an inexperienced person can paint it green to match his wife's shirt. Which is possible: I'm currently working on a Silvertone tombstone that was painted green.

Shipping is not a problem. Year before last, I shipped over half a dozen consoles, most of them coast to coast, and only had one small problem. With the 201X, it is just a matter of determining a starting point, as I can find no reference to one ever been sold or purchased, especially a restored one.

Well, you always know, if someone wants a playing restored radio and paid a good amount for it, he probably would not paint it green afterwards.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

"Its not easy being green..."
Icon_biggrin

Is that show still on the air?

Sesame Street? - Yes it is.