Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

noise on radio during the day **SOLVED**

over the past month or so it seems there is a lot of trouble on all my radios until mid afternoon.
the noise isnt like a filter cap being bad but rather most of the middle AM bands are washed out by something.
when i come upon a strong signal such as like on AM960, the noise is overtaken by the station and 90% of the noise is reduced.

is this a solar event like experiecned with satalite dishes / LNB's shaddow and such where during certain times of the year this happens?

I noticed the noise levels during the same time of day are lowering now.

i know that you get some of your better reception during the evening and night hours but,, what i am discussing here has noting to do with that.

No, it is probably a local noise source. There are plenty of them. I have to turn off the DVD player that is nearby to listen to the 1000Z (then remember to turn it back on).

I have used a portable AM radio to locate noise sources.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

If it is day-time related, it is likely industrial/consumption-pattern related.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Could be a cable tv box updating if you have one. I experienced that issue until disconnecting service solved the issue.

(04-18-2018, 11:00 AM)Paul Wrote:  Could be a cable tv box updating if you have one.  I experienced that issue until disconnecting service solved the issue.

For the whole month?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

How long does it take to charge your phone every day?

Look for wall-warts and switching power supplies, that are in just about all AC powered devices built in the last 15 years.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Something like a electric fence charger will mess with the AM band and some of the short wave bands. A real problem around here in the spring and fall. David

My cable box was in a loop and attempting to complete an update for weeks. Turned out to be defective which was a good excuse to say adios to cable tv. I use a Roku stick if I need to watch anything.

I have two Rokus, and were it up to me, I'd ditch the cable too. But my wife wants to be able to see some reality shows.

I had noise trouble on all my radios too, for about three years. FINALLY traced it down to a poorly-designed (re: cheap) transformer assembly, for my outside landscape lighting. It would only affect the radios at night, when it was operating. Replaced with a large $90 one...and problem solved!

it happens here all the time with everything electronic made in CHINA. the ONLY time am comes in with decent reception is in the morning after sunrise until about 9am. after that its steady noise as people get up and start using their chinese JUNK. when i was a kid you could listen to am all the time but it was noticeably better at night. now-a-days,at least here forget it.

I have to admit, it's getting worse around here all the time. With everything using wall warts and nothing actually being able to be shut off nowadays, just going into sleep mode, there is noise all the time. People using their Chinese junk in their particle board palaces!

No matter where you go, there you are.

I've put chokes in all light dimmers and all LED fixtures.  The switching supplies create enormous noise that feeds through the entire electrical system of the house.  I have to unplug battery chargers and some wall warts to listen to any AM receivers.  Thank goodness for FM!  Love my Scott 16A in my shop for that reason.

when the wife is out, i will kill all the house panel board breakers leaving the breaker feeding the garage on.

then ........ work my way backwards.

i am noticing the noise during the day hours are getting better , i just now checked am bands and they were all noise free, difference is that today i have lots of cloud cover.

We dont have

-cable
-cell phone service
-cell towers
-industrial anything near me
-neghbors near by
-high tension power lines
-airports
-highways

google zip code 24941,, nothing here at all

I think I'll move by you to get away from people, relatives, traffic, lights, etc.,etc., etc.! I do need a little airport though.

I did the same thing in my house - turned everything off, then one by one, tracked down the noise makers on each circuit.