"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

the other side

Attached Files Image(s)

tried to post this side 3 times now...

Attached Files Image(s)

That crack really spoiled it for me

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah, veneer alone won't fix that. But it is fixable.

Wanna' trade for a restored Westinghouse Refrigerator? (radio)

I could ask him if he'd be willing to ship it Russ, But I would be afraid that it would come to you the way most of Rons' shipments have arrived lately... Especially with this joker (even though he IS in the antique business, and should know how to ship, but with his "know how" of making 80 year old appliances work again by sticking a cord on it, well,...)  Anyhow... Unless you all think that it's still worth bothering with. Solid cabinet. Nice chassis... I can talk to the guy...

Jim

Stickers for the masses:

one more for good measure

Attached Files Image(s)

It is defiantly worth getting, but it will need a complete refinish, speaker recone and the chassis is probably going to need some wire. It has the classic deer t*rd caps and the "Magic Brain" is a little hard to align.

If you don't want it I would certainly like to get it up here.

Thank you VERY much Arran for the concise information regarding the checking procedures for the windings and such. That made it so clear in my mind. I could have traced it out in the circuit on the schematics, but that would take a couple of hours I'm sure, and there would always be doubt because of all the unknown (to me) variable factors like addition of caps, resistors, etc...involved. So maybe go back there tomorrow armed with a multimeter, and check the trans. & field coil. Offer him $50 if they're good... $35 if no good? I never really haggled for anything much in my whole life, so this might be a good lesson for me...

I checked out a bunch of posts involving the 10T. There are a few threads on ARF, and even a full blown resto thread with detailed pics, et al. It certainly does have the gutta/percha stuff all up in there and all over. And the fact that every RCA I've ever worked on has made me very happy and satisfied- is so appealing to me at this time. I am in need of another project. If I were to get it, I would trust few to repair the cabinet properly, but it has your name all over it, Russ. I really do like this radio a lot, but I would never be happy with it without the cabinet getting professionally restored. But paying someone to do it for me will never happen. Maybe we can figure out a way to get it to you.

The main issue will probably be the wiring, I'm not convinced that changing out the mica caps is really necessary. In spite of what they claim on the barking dog forum I haven't experienced any more problems with those black, coffin shaped, mica caps then I have with any other type, so unless they are falling apart, or every other more common problem has been ruled out, I leave them alone. So what is the issue with the speaker? I see that the grille cloth is torn a bit but was the cone damaged too? To me it looks like a very restorable set, even that cracked veneer on the shoulder doesn't look too bad, though I wonder why RCA's cabinet makers didn't just use a single board from back to front rather then using laminated stock? I guess it was to use up left over material?
Regards
Arran

That crack is in the step down section where there is a solid piece of wood and it looks like maybe could be replaced by someone who knew what they're doing in that area (NOT me). Don't know if it's a solid block of wood with veneer over it (that's what I thought it was). Offer up $50 for the set and see what he says???

If Russ didn't want that 10T for the $87.50 asking price (the price you quoted in your original post), I would.

I would have no problem paying $87.50 for it in that condition. I'm not a big RCA fan but I know they made some great quality radios during that time period.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN