Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Hippo 46-620 Code 128

Anyone know where I can get a schematic for this one?  Not on Nostalgia Air.

This version has the 50B5 and the 35Y4

Thanks,
Joe Miller

I can find no reference to a 46-620 on ANY site. It's not a 46-420?

No such thing as a 46-620.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have the Riders schematic for both 46-420 and 48-460 Hippo models. Neither has the 50B5. Are you sure someone didn't just stick a 50B5 into the chassis before you got the radio? Can you post a picture of the chassis?

Well I dunno if it should have a 50B5 or 50C5 but was common in that time period for same sets to have different tubes(of course for Philco depends on code number). If the audio output transformer is connected to pin 5 it uses a 50B5, if on pin 7 it should have 50C5.

Assuming a 46-Something, would be impossible(at least from factory) to have a 50C5 as that tube wasn't introduced till 1948.

Tom

I have seen on other radios output tube swap at the factory (do not remember if it was a Philco). And swapping halves of rectifier tube is common also.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

As easy as looking on RM, the 46-420 code 128 does indeed use 50B5 & 35Y4... No schematic though..

Except for socket & their wiring connections won't be any different than one that uses 50L6 & 35Z5.. Same tubes different package..

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_46_...e_128.html

Tom

Reminds me of an old radio show called "Let Pretend"
Figure out which tube (s) it uses as Tom mentions and renumber the diagram to match.
From what I remember the big difference between the runs is the spkr
some used pm vs electrodynamic. Not a big deal.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Looking at the bottom of the audio output tube socket and determine which pin goes to the output transformer. If its is pin2 tube should be 50A5 if pin3 tube should be 50L6. David

There's a major differences between the 50A5 and the 50L6, 50A5 is a loktal base tube the 50L6 is an octal. They use two different sockets.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have three of the Canadian versions of a 46-420, or their successor models, none of which used a 50B5 tube, however two have a XXD/14AF7 mixer oscillator, and two IF amplifier tubes, whilst the third uses a 7A8 octode converter tube and has a tuned RF amplifier stage ahead of it, and is followed by a single IF amplifier tube, I don't think that any of mine used a 35Y4, or a 50A5 but I will have to look. I thought it was some of the later versions of these that used 7 pin miniature tubes, not the earlier ones? It seems that these sets were like the 1201s, they were slapping them together with whatever parts they could get in a given week.
Regards
Arran

(05-09-2018, 09:26 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  There's a major differences between the 50A5 and the 50L6, 50A5 is a loktal base tube the 50L6 is an octal. They use two different sockets.

Agreed, plus OP mentions set has 50B5 which is a miniature tube, no chance it has a 50A5 or 50L6...

Tom

Joe, some photos of your set's chassis and cabinet might help folks help you.