Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-stuffing caps

I know this subject has probably been "phorumed" to death, but I'm still having a hard time understanding the necessity.

At one point in my life, I restored classic cars. These had to LOOK completely original. But if I had to rebuild the radio, not only would it make no difference to the buyer what components I used, but it would not affect the value, either. If I had to use foam rather than "horsehair" in the upholstery. it also made no difference. If I used electronic ignition inside the distributor, it would make no difference. As long as everything "looked" original.

The other day, I started re-stuffing a Bakelite, and then I stopped. And I thought about what I was doing. If I had to re-stuff every cap on every radio I restored, not only would it take me forever to complete one, but would anyone ever appreciate the additional work? I've heard many people say that a radio is not restored, but only refurbished if the underside of the chassis doesn't look original. If I run out of red wire, and use orange instead, is that going to drop the value?

I do like to make the "top" of the chassis original. I leave the aluminum electrolytics, but I won't re-stuff them. But let's be honest. How many buyers are going to remove the chassis? If you're a hobbyist, like I am, I'm not going to buy a "restored" or "refurbished" radio anyway. I want to do the work myself.

So can someone give me the definitive answer as to why some people think, and spend all the extra time, to re-stuff caps when the odds on someone "EVER" noticing, are almost zero?

Ha !!

You're confusing "need" (speaking technically of course), with "need" (speaking emotionally) Icon_smile

There is no technical reason to re-stuff caps. We do it because we want to.

That's all.

cheers

LOL,, old saying...............

if you want it real bad,, you get it real bad!

these guys have it nailed when it comes to the passion of looking correct when resto..... not only caps but resistors also.

yes, you heard me,,

there is a thread here somewhere of someone who discovered "hampton Inn" disposable ink pin's are the perfect diameter for some of the dog bone resistors using the tube only

you cut the tube length to match the old resistor, you slot about 1/8'' on each end,, you slip a modern resistor inside the tube,,, you slip each end of the resistor into the slots then wrap the excess lead around the ends... then you epoxy or whatever the whole thing by dipping or whatever then paint it up then install.

amazing!!!

so........ think about re-stuffing caps and RESISTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if I was younger, and had all the time in the world, and was an absolute perfectionist, I'd probably be doing that too.

But I'm old, time is short, and I know by experience that what may be perfect to me, someone else will find fault with. (Just like I ended that sentence with a preposition, but I don't care!)

So you asked a question that you already have an answer for? (for which you already have an answer?)

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(05-12-2018, 09:36 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  So you asked a question that you already have an answer for? (for which you already have an answer?)

Do we have a problem here?

You mean ending a sentence with a preposition - - ;-)

Well, I think you have reached the wrong conclusion. But you seem to have already made up your mind. So I wondered why you asked.

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/who-l...-a-chassis

I'm old too, so it is advisable to do your best work the first time.

Save the old parts so that a future collector can put them back.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

pat,,
i have the "other problem",,, i like to improve on the mistakes made as a result of assembly line high production,,, you know,, when value engineering gets ahold of something that works really good... then finds ways to make it cheaper.
im not old yet,, prob wont ever get there but i do iknow i should have been dead several times,, they lost-i won

Patric

Here's what I thnk about your question:

If, as Russ has noted, you asked it just to post your answer to it (looks that way)....well, then you have your answer and why even ask, right?

However, my personal opinion about the question, if it is asked in the open-ended fashion, is about the same: why even ask? People have their own reasons to do it either way, some have the want and the time, some don't, some simply don't care, and it is all the matter of personal preference which never should be subject to arguing about it as it is useless: de gustibus no est dusputandum - is a very old truism.
You won't convince those who like restuffing that it doesn't matter, and they won't convince you that it does, as it does to THEM and doesn't to YOU.

As long as the radio is restored safely, that's the desired minimum, and then in the end of the day those who want the ultimate museum quality job will come to Russ and those who want a radio to play without paying premium will come to someone else.

Myself, I restuff the caps for my radios. But knowing that, for example, that a person who I did it for, could care less, when I do it for him, I simply replace the caps as this is all he wants and with restuffing it would take me three to four times longer.

But I would not argue about it.

The ultimate truth is: Your way is best for You.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(05-12-2018, 08:50 PM)jcassity Wrote:  pat,,
i have the "other problem",,,  i like to improve on the mistakes made as a result of assembly line high production,,, you know,, when value engineering gets ahold of something that works really good... then finds ways to make it cheaper.
im not old yet,, prob wont ever get there but i do iknow i should have been dead several times,, they lost-i won

I envy you. It seems over the last 50 years or so I have lost the ability to recognize where the engineers made shortcuts in order to increase the bottom line. But other people's perspectives are certainly interesting. They actually helped me in arriving at a conclusion to my original question.

And I won't even respond to the other individual's comments because not only is it non-productive and serves no purpose, but they appear to have their own agenda: "look what I can do".

I believe this thread should conclude now.

(05-12-2018, 09:09 PM)morzh Wrote:  Patric

Here's what I thnk about your question:

If, as Russ has noted, you asked it just to post your answer to it (looks that way)....well, then you have your answer and why even ask, right?

However, my personal opinion about the question, if it is asked in the open-ended fashion, is about the same: why even ask? People have their own reasons to do it either way, some have the want and the time, some don't, some simply don't care, and it is all the matter of personal preference which never should be subject to arguing about it as it is useless: de gustibus no est dusputandum - is a very old truism.
You won't convince those who like restuffing that it doesn't matter, and they won't convince you that it does, as it does to THEM and doesn't to YOU.

As long as the radio is restored safely, that's the desired minimum, and then in the end of the day those who want the ultimate museum quality job will come to Russ and those who want a radio to play without paying premium will come to someone else.

Myself, I restuff the caps for my radios. But knowing that, for example, that a person who I did it for, could care less, when I do it for him, I simply replace the caps as this is all he wants and with restuffing it would take me three to four times longer.

But I would not argue about it.

The ultimate truth is: Your way is best for You.

I didn't have the definitive answer to my question until now. I think I just asked the question incorrectly. It appears the consensus is different if someone comes to you to repair or restore their own radio, or, in my case purchase one with resale in mind.

But I really believe Russ' comment was not only inappropriate, but I take offense when someone I don't even know says something like "So you asked a question that you already have an answer for?". To me, that's like saying "what kind of idiot are you?"

Nuff said. Don't think I'll post anything for a while if that's the response I get. I WAS having fun doing this.

> I believe this thread should conclude now.

And I agree that it should conclude before the flame wars begin.

> Don't think I'll post anything for a while if that's the response I get.

Aw, c'mon, don't go away mad...

I will only add that I am 100% sure that Russ and Mike meant no offense in their comments. Some of us old curmudgeons (especially me) sometimes seem to be, ah, shall we say "rough around the edges"...but in reality we only wish to help. Otherwise we would be silent when someone asks a question.

Thread locked. That's all.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN