Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tropic 53-960 restoration

Thanks Ron for explaining it clearly. I was having trouble with how to describe their operation.

Thanks Ron

Maybe you could also explain this to me: they first say to set the core TC1C flush with the rear end of the, what I now understand, is T14. But then they don't mention it anymore.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I believe the adjustment is to line up the permeability tuning so that it will track properly. It has been a while since I rebuilt my 53-960, so I honestly do not remember all of the details. I think I did this on mine? Icon_crazy

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Maybe I should leave it be for now.

Oh BTW my tuning cap was shorting at about 1/6 open to fully meshed. It was the outermost vane on the rear section. I pulled it just a little and the short was gone.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Aligned it tonight.
All bands work fine.
Now that it got dark I got some activity on most SW bands, using myself as an antenna.
Boy does that thing have 101 trimmer capacitors to adjust.....

Ron.....I got it about the TC1C and such. It says pretty much, it will go on its own into the position as the tuning cap is fully meshed, and if not then one has to help it to get there. Mine got there on its own.

Almost put it back together, but need to glue the rod antenna base. Lots of stations across the SW.
Some knobs are cracked so I put the ones that are good to handle things like band switch, and others for volume/tone.

Hey Mike - Just catching up on this restoration. For re-stuffing the electrolytics do you use the hot glue to keep everything in place, for insulation or both? I've only used spaghetti tubing inside.

By the way, that beer wasn't too bad Ron. I'm not a dark beer fan either. It was a 32 oz mug so maybe it was after the first 20 oz's went down that it became tastier!

Paul

I've been meaning to find brown hot glue. But I looked at Hobby Lobby - no dice.
So, when the tube length ratio to the new caps' allows it (I first have to put some wadding so the hot glue does not hit the new cap, and it takes space too), I put hot glue first, and then melt on some old wax, I try to use the easily meltable type, for looks. If there is no space, I use hot glue only: wax does not hold well, even if there is a lot of it, while hot glue sticks very well to both the casing and the wires and holds very reliably.

Thanks Mike.

My local hobby stores didn't carry brown either so I got it from Amazon. They have a huge selection of various colors and sizes. I chose the brown mini sticks and mini gun because the small tip works well.

Paul

Thanks for the idea, i looked at amazon - it's all kinds of brown shades there. I will measure my sticks and order some for my gun.

Wiped it with Gojo, put it back together.
Lots of stations with loop antenna.