Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Phirst Philco

The Chevron lines on the c41 are spaced further apart than on your 116x by a huge amount, though the colors might be similar. When I got the new cloth, The backside was much darker, and I almost liked it better that way, but it was somewhat duller in appearance, so I went with the bright side out. I would not question Rons opinion much on these matters. If there were a more authentic reproduction cloth available, he would know, ergo, we all...

I just heard back from Ken Richmond. He told me that the Philco Chevron cloth he has is not correct for my radio.

A bit of a dilemma.....hmm.....neither the GRC-03 or the GRC-41 are exact matches. BUT the 41 is light background with dark twin lines like I have now.

But the spacing of the lines is a bit wider. I think either one would LOOK good, but which one would be the closest to authentic?

The GRC-41 cloth looks closest to the radio on Tuberadioland.

Have a look-see at the backsides of those cloths if you can get images of them. Might be a closer match to the eye, maybe?  Dunno

Personally, I think the #41 cloth looks nicer. I just don't want to end up having people say "Nice radio, but the cloth is wrong".
But then again, who cares? I'll probably die with it still sitting in my living room anyway. Icon_smile

...but it's OK if someone who has studied Philco for almost 30 years says, "Nice radio, but the cloth is wrong"?

Indeed, who cares?

Shall I quote Rev. Mason again? Yes, I shall:

"You may not agree with me. You have every right to be wrong if you want to be."

Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'll take that as being put in my place.

I'll order the #03 cloth and get on with the rest of my life.

Icon_smile

Sorry, I really didn't mean to be so blunt...but hey, it got your attention, yes? Icon_smile

You would not have been happy with the #41 cloth. I guarantee it.

You're welcome.

Icon_lol Icon_smile

P.S. I was not trying to put anyone "in their place". I was merely trying to stop you from making a big mistake with the cloth.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It's all good Ron!  I need someone to cancel out my overexuberance from time to time.  

It will look great with #03 cloth.  I will order it, and then in a week or so, take the radio to my guy and have him work his magic on it.

thanks all!

Very good...and please allow me to add my congratulations as well on your acquisition. A fine Philco indeed to be your first, the second best Philco in the 1936 line.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

A pic. of wide spaced Chevrons:

Attached Files Image(s)

I ordered the GRC-03 fabric today. It will look great.

I keep looking at the cabinet, and thinking how well it did for over 80 years without getting trashed. The wood and finish remind me of an old grand piano I used to own that was also made in the 30's.

You liked the 03 better than the one from Richmond Designs? Was it the color that did it for you or the pattern? I think the wide chevrons on the c41 would have looked strange in the smaller grillework openings on the 116x.  Icon_clap

I talked with Ken Richmond. He recommended the 03 from Radio Daze for my radio.

That really is a PHantastic beauty of a set that you none too oft get to see in that condition, if ever at all!!!  Salute

Second best.....

Ron, you've just insulted the 116X.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.