Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Phirst Philco

No, I didn't; I was merely stating a fact. The top dog in the 1936 line was the 680X. Fifteen tubes and true High Fidelity reception. The 116X has eleven tubes and, while it also has the Acoustic Clarifiers, it is not a true High Fidelity set in that it does not have a variable IF bandwidth control.

Nevertheless, the 116X is still a great radio and certainly should be considered a feather in rdnzl's cap for acquiring such a fine radio as his first Philco.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I received the cloth today. Here is what it looks like. I think it will look marvelous. What do you think?

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/NkFmIfM.jpg]

Mighty Fine, a very refined look.  With a console where you see a lot more fabric a quality one makes a big difference. I have some sets I have used as close to original or the original cloth, others I have created my own look. 

My first set ever I used a piece of left over reddish upholstery as a table set with only a few inches across the speaker it was not bad, hey I was maybe 12, it was all I had. Icon_sad

Good luck with that set, it will be one you will not part with. Maybe half my radios have some "reason" they can't be traded or sold, the first of this type, given to me by family, a certain friend, as an accumulator you learn to rationalize. I hope I am no the only one. Icon_wink

Paul

Tubetalk1

I like the quality of this cloth. It is substantial and the "weave" or whatever you call it, is quite nice.

That cloth will look SO much better than the c-41 cloth in that unit with the smaller, more delicate openings that your grille has to offer. A lot more of the pattern will show through.  Icon_thumbup  It will look exquisite!!!

Icon_thumbup

Radio Daze did very well indeed with reproducing that cloth. It looks just like original cloth...right down to the subtle stripes within the "V"s. Appears identical in your photo to the cloth John O. (Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters) used to sell.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

An excellent set for your first Philco!! The 116X remains one of my favorites!!

TOM!! Icon_biggrin Icon_wave

Great to "see" you here! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes Tom, long time no see!

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hey! Look who's here!
How's tricks, Tom!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Dropped it off this morning for a full going through, and a redoing of the grille cloth.

We are hoping the 6A3's test OK. If not, I'll be on the hunt for them. My guy has just about everything in the house but those.

I'm excited to hear what this beauty sounds like!

In a week or two, I will find out.

Two new 6A3's are on the way. Mine both tested badly. One was an original that was dead. The other a replacement that was weak. Fortunately, I found them without having to pay TOO much for them.

I'm getting excited, but... it will probably be the end of next week before it's done.

If you do run into a pair of 6A3s that test poorly, and can't find a new pair for a realistic non audiophool price, then you could use a pair of adapters to use triode connected 6L6s as substitutes. The only issue may be with regard to biasing the tubes, but they will handle the voltages quite easily. Fortunately I don't think that 6A3s are to the level of stupid where the type 50s are as yet.
Regards
Arran

I got a new pair for $28 each. Expensive, but not as bad as many I've seen for sale online.

I picked her up just a bit ago, after being gone over completely and restored electronically, AND getting new grille cloth put on.

It sounds great. I had my guy install a 1/4" RCA jack, and I'm streaming music from my laptop via a Bluetooth receiver.

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/3x198mX.jpg?1]

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/yMEEW9i.jpg?1]