Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1936 Clinton 216 radio - lots of questions!

Hello all.  I've acquired a 1936 Clinton model 216 table radio built by the infamous "Plant A" in Chicago.  Currently it is a basket case, having been in a basement flooding.  I'll have to completely rebuild the cabinet.  My questions are ...  Is it worth the effort?  Was this a desired radio, or just a mass produced throw away?   Radiomuseum has photos and a schematic available.  I haven't worked with them before and I'm curious if they are a legit source for the information I need.  Anyone out here ever deal with them?  This radio used a line voltage ballast tube (K49C).  How does one go about testing one of these?  I've never dealt with them before.  Sorry I don't have any pictures to post yet, but the radiomuseum file has a few.  I'll post some if I decide to tackle this project.  Thanks guys!  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Your ballast tube is a couple of high wattage resistors in a can.  Should read about Pin 3-8  132 Ohms, Pin 7-8  84 Ohms if good. It's used to drop the 120v ac line down the the appropriate heater voltage (49v @ 300ma)to power the series strung circuit. This means that the total of the tubes heaters should come to about 76v. = two 25v tubes and four 6v tubes.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, Terry.  I'll check this evening after dinner.  Anyone have any input regarding "Plant A" radios?  I've found little information, but it went from junk sets to cutting edge technology!  Quite the secretive company.  Take care, Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan

Joe Rossi is a wealth of knowledge.

Maybe he can chime in.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Post pictures of cabinet, it may not be as bad as you think, though the Plant A sets did tend to be cheap series string models. Your main issue would be finding a schematic if it doesn't have one posted inside the cabinet, I'm not sure if Clinton sets were listed in Riders.
Regards
Arran

Hello Arran,  I was able to get the schematic for the set from Radiomuseum.  As far as the cabinet is concerned, it was in direct water contact and most of the veneer separated and curled away.  What's left has some pretty hefty warpage.  Take care, Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan