Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper

No, everything is much simpler: the exterior is always covered with yellowish semi-translucent was that muddies the surface color and could be there in lumps/frozen droplets.
While opening the caps, which is heating them and pulling the wax plugs with the wires out, the outer wax melts and is wiped off when holding caps to pull the plugs, so the paper become exposed and, especially in Zeniths' cases where it is bright orange, looks brighter afterwards.
No special restoration of the exterior, none usually needed - it is pretty sturdy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Need the cord for tuning cap: will buy on RR.

Does anyone know the cord winding diagram?

On a sidenote: tested the tubes; all are OK, though the 1LA6 converter has Pentode at 500 at desired 1000. I am sure it will work fine, will replace if available. Oh....I have the second radio. Maybe there it is better.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, I may have a spare 1LA6. Let me know if you want me to dig around the tube boxes.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul

Thanks for the offer. If anything goes wrong, I'll sure take you upon it. Icon_smile
I have just bought a full set of NIB/NOS tubes for 7G605 off of a guy who sells them. Seems like I bought the last one.
per tube it came out better that buying one of them. It will be good to have a spare set just in case.
Then again, I have a second set which is likely to get restored right after the first, so ....

I looked, and was mistaken, did not have one so good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Antique electronic supply has N.O.S. 1LA6 tubes in stock:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/1la6-heptode

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Well, they sell it for $12, and so do many folks on eBay.

I bought all 7 tubes, all NIB/NOS for $49 shipped free, which averages $7/tube. Not too bad. Icon_smile

Mike, when I got back to the other PC last night I cheeked my dial stringing book and no luck on the 7G605, nor do my Zenith schematic books.  I think my dial string is intact if you need me to look at it for you, but it might take a couple of days.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Can't argue with those prices Mike Icon_smile

Good luck with the project - this one has been interesting to watch.

My shoulder didn't get fixed but no longer hurts much so I can now get back to it.
Well...first I have to go and meet my in-laws with my wife's niece who are coming to visit from Russia, and it is a 2hrs one way minimum trip to JFK, and with one hand driving....then I can get back to the project.

Yesterday I successfully met my in-laws, them exiting as I walked in, what are the chances, huh, and today I am back at the TO.
I changed the D-battery holder, and though the wires were still pliable, I opened the battery jack and replaced the blue wire, the only one that hardened, and one of the D-cell holder one.
Then I hooked up the speaker, turned the BC band on and powered up. First nothing happened, and I found out the plug wasn't making good contact with the cord. I re-trimmed the cord, exercised the prongs several times so they punctured the cord well, and it started to glow.
The radio noise was there immediately, and it reacted to the tuning. The tuning is very coarse with no vernier, so it took me 6 or so back and forth, but I tuned the local station loud and clear.

So now as I washed my hands extra diligently, a beer is in order. Then the rest.

What kind of beer is on tap today, Mike? I'm thinking a nice cold brew sounds like a great idea myself, soon!   Icon_thumbup

It's Warsteiner. Still have some. Have others but this is what I favor after some hard work Icon_smile Quenches the thirst nicely.

Exciting stuff. There's nothing quite like that moment of first power-on. First the glow, perhaps a little hum, and then static if you are lucky.

...And nothing beats the reward beer afterwards Icon_smile

Yep, revives you every single time. Icon_smile