Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper

Coated the asbestos with VHT clear primer. Outside, of course.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

JCassity;
  I am not sure how they went about aligning radio receivers at the factory, the IF alignment would be easy enough, but I'm guessing that they aligned sets in a shielded room to keep out electrical interference, perhaps employing a Faraday cage. This is one detail that I have not seen elaborated on in any book or film that I have seen.
Regards
Arran

Interesting thought... the factory environment must have been rife with electrical and acoustic noise. I wonder if there was a quiet space, with shielding, provided?

Radios with loop or ferrite antennas would benefit particularly I would think. For other sets that need an external antenna, interference should be minimal. I had no trouble aligning the 16X on my workbench, and that is lit with a built-in fluorescent strip light. There is almost no pickup until a wire is connected. Same with the RCA chassis.

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Arran

I'm still not sure how they aligned IF at the factory, as it calls for IF signal injected in the grid of the converter via a cap, and I don't see any easy way of doing it. I went via antenna as I figured it should work and I think it did, but I would not say it is easy. The rest is easy as it all couples via antennas, rod or Wavemagnet.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I aligned the radio tonight. All bands sem to work fine.
However when adjusting trimmers, the trimmers on the left of the buttons work and those on the right don't.
Same is true about the trimmers on the tuning cap.
Trimmers on the Wavemagnet... let's just say they are not too important or effective.

One more thing: that thermal VHT stuff.....when it dried, when touching the asbestor it leaves powdery residue on a finger (and then I lick it Icon_smile ). Not sure why. I decided to leave it alone.

Now I'm going to buy batteries and.....FIELD TRIP!!!!! With big tube portable in the tent!!! Icon_lol

I put the battery in.

I was surprised that it didn't take any time at all for the radio to come up. I understand the B+ voltage is ready but is the filaments warm up so fast?

Good reception. And, with batteries the stations (especially the local Jersey Shore one with music) sound much, much better.
First with the 110V power I was wondering what kind of entertainment that would provide for Eugene McDonald, but then, him being on his yacht and running off the batteries..l...yes, the sound would be just fine.

I think this more or less concludes it.

This was an interesting restore Mike.  Thanks!   It got me to dig out my H500 and search the short wave bands.  Any last pictures of the working set?

Paul

Here's the one I just snapped - I took it to work to show to some folks. It is by the window as this is the only place where I could get reception - otherwise the tin roof blocks it.

Obviously you could not see it working :Icon_smile but I am planning to eventually shoot a short movie, like I did with other radios.

Mike.

That's very nice Mike!

Nice radio, and great restoration Mike - thanks for the picture!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Looks very good. Icon_thumbup

As grandma used to say a real "corker". All the hard work paid off. Not that I wish you a power outage, but if you have one it is neat to try a vintage battery set without all the interference from your neighbors, really like what the Cmdr. heard. I hope only for like a 1/2 hour outage or so, not in the winter. 

Looks super, good luck with it. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul,

Yeah it's the coolest thing. I've been meaning to take on it sooner but it took me close to 4 years.
This radio was clearly meant to receive on batteries; all noises gone, low distortion on music. AC power was the backup plan when the batteries ran out Icon_smile

Now I have several later models, plus the Stromberg one. I think maybe 8G005 should be next as it is, well, the next model. Got it from Sam (as well as the other three he just dumped on me).