Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper

I used to re-use the wax. It is messy and doesn't hold well by itself - it requires first some hot plastic glue and then the wax on top for looks only. And sometimes there is little space left at the ends after the spacing wads are placed.
Plus not every was is well-reusable (in this radio it is).
But I just bought colored hot glue and now I do not re-use the wax.

I do not fill space between the cap and the tube - it is not needed.
At the ends when space allows I use wadding: I cut a strip of thin cardboard (like from cereal packaging box), roll it up in a spiral and insert at the end, feeding the cap's lead through; then I insert the second rolled strip over the other lead. This holds the cap in place and allows potting the ends with the hot glue, at the same time isolating the cap from the glue itself.
When space does not allow spiraled paper, I cut a circle from it, put hole in the middle and use it instead. The effect is the same: the glue is kept from damaging the cap and the cap is held in place while well-centered.

Actually, one cap (in the last photo it is the one on to at the chassis wall, 22-1207, 0.07uF) was not even restuffable: it was a fully plastic cap with the thin paper sleeve with marking, thin means - thinner than printer paper. I removed the cap and restuffed the paper sleeve. Had to be gentle.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper - by morzh - 07-19-2018, 07:44 AM