Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper

i think it was here on this thread you suspected something along the silver mica disease.

ive been running now 5 different sets in the garage and even my trans oceanic transistor radio was poping.

it went away often,, it also simply came back often.

i started to watch weather underground web for storms.

apparently if i dont have any storms near me then i wont have pops and cracks.

if there is a storm like a state away then i will.

i think this might have to do with the exceptionally tall and long antenna i have up.

when i was experimenting with a beverage antenna.. all this pop and crackle was not present. i am not able to apply a proper beverage because of my land,, not flat... so i really never was able to get the proper layout done.

so with a random wire up high at about 30' and 250' long using tin coated electric fence wire & insulators,,, i am considering going to something smaller in awg and lighter so i an go higher and longer.

if i get above my oak trees, i can easily span 1000 feet

back to you... sorry....

maybe you have an issue with the antenna being too good of an attraction for near by weather related instances.

example.....

today i expect you and i will have crackle / pops ,, i am under a rainy day,, and you have storms off long island and some to your west around Scranton Pa... all this heading your way from us to the west.

after this eve,, or maybe tomorrow i am going to see if all the cracks & pops go away.

we all remember as kids when these sets were fairly common while on AM, you could have early warning of storms coming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper - by jcassity - 08-18-2018, 09:47 AM